For Sale Viking Dragonfly MKII "Quick Build" - $1,500!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by Direct C51, Oct 12, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 12, 2019 #1

Direct C51

Direct C51

Direct C51

It's time I put some real effort in to selling my Dragonfly project. I purchased this aircraft a couple years ago with the intent to finish it after I completed my Sonex. After a move to San Diego, and some changes to my hangar situation, I just do not have time to work on this project. All major layups have been completed by a true craftsman. The fiberglass work is fantastic. Gear, canopy, fuel tanks, control surfaces all complete. Just add controls, avionics, FWF, and paint. Includes the original instruction manual and all templates. Complete book of receipts for everything purchased so far. The hard work has been done, all that remains is the finish work and customizing your airplane with the avionics and engine of your choosing. Right now the airplane is hangared at Gillespie FIeld, KSEE near San Diego, CA. The wings are on a wing stand and the fuselage is on a rolling dolly so transportation is pretty easy. Message me and I will send my email address and phone number. This is the perfect winter project! First one with $1,500 and a trailer takes it home!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Turd Ferguson and cheapracer like this.
  2. Oct 13, 2019 #2

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

It makes me sad beyond words that no one on the left coast will snatch this up and make it into a great flying machine. Even has materials from Alpha Plastics, where I used to buy my composite supplies.

allonsye, Topaz and cheapracer like this.
  3. Oct 16, 2019 #3

Direct C51

Direct C51

Direct C51

Thank you! I really do hope that someone will get this wonderful airplane flying some day. It's not an RV though, and doesn't appeal to many now days. I have called all of the nearby EAA chapters who will hopefully be spreading the word as well.

allonsye likes this.
  4. Oct 16, 2019 #4

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Plane Crazy at Mojave this weekend. Lots of Rutan fans will be there. Maybe there's a way to pull a buyer out of that crowd?

5. Oct 17, 2019 #5

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

^^^^^^Yes, that was the idea of the day right there. Take the time to trailer it up to MHV with a for sale sign on it, and you will have the best possible chance to find a buyer IMHO. I'm not talking about a flyer on the bulletin board, I'm talking about the airplane right there staring someone in the face, where they can see and touch the quality of construction. Yes it's a day out of your life, but you will get hangar space and a couple or three days equivalent work pay for your time. And you get to be at one of the coolest places in aviation.

6. Oct 17, 2019 #6

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Not that it's going to help much, but you can consider my place a base of Opperations if you need it. You know where I live, after all.

7. Oct 17, 2019 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

Put a for sale banner on the back of your shirt and walk around the fly in. Sandwich boards if you want more sun shelter.

8. Oct 17, 2019 #8

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I would make sure the airplane is out on the ramp at Plane Crazy, right in front of the restaurant, and put a great big neon pink sign on it saying "Best Offer Takes This Home TODAY". Then when someone asks, you can say you have had offers of $500, 995, 1250, and 1450.

Another very effective strategy is to say you will take trades for certain items, motorcycles, firearms, whatever. The extra effort of converting those traded items to cash is of course something to consider, BUT you will likely get a lot more interest in the Dragonfly because everybody has some kind of junk that they would trade, without having to go through the effort of converting it to cash. Someone who would not take the $1500 out of the bank might be very interested if they could trade you the dirt bike that they promised their girlfriend they would stop riding.

If you're clever, you can trade for something that takes up a lot less room in the hangar, so that you get half of the benefit you wanted immediately, and you can wait until someone will give you a good price on whatever it is.

allonsye and Terrh like this.
  9. Oct 18, 2019 #9

dapug

dapug

dapug

I sold my fully built Q2 for $1800 15+ years ago. It was even registered, but then modified and not flightworthy at the time. Makes me sick to see flightworthy Q2 going for $14k+ now. The only reason it's hard to sell even at $1500 is because people just don't know how to finish this kind of kit nor be confident about it. That is my opinion but also first hand experience talking.

allonsye likes this.
  10. Oct 18, 2019 #10

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I agree. That and it can't be finished in 2-1/2 hrs, the approximate attention span of people living in the digital age.

Derswede and cheapracer like this.
  11. Oct 19, 2019 #11

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Come on you CHEAP !!%$#^$%^%YTFTY$%#%$%$$'s someone buy this thing & finish it. If I hadn't recently bought a Snap Dragon I'd have already been on the way down there to buy it!

12. Oct 22, 2019 #12

Direct C51

Direct C51

Direct C51

Thanks for all of the great advice guys. I wish I could have made it to plane crazy. I found someone who should be driving over from Texas in the next couple days to come look at it.

TooBuilder - Speaking of your place, I need to fly my Sonex out there to come visit you guys again. Maybe once it cools a little.

13. Oct 22, 2019 #13

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Just keep in mind that we are "fry or freeze" up here. The window of "pleasant" is short, and we are right in the middle of it now. Gimme a call.

Victor Bravo likes this.
  14. Oct 22, 2019 #14

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

That's it, the new Chamber of Commerce tag line. "Welcome to Mojave... Fry or Freeze, in our Sixty Knot Breeze!"

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    bmcj and Topaz like this.
  15. Oct 29, 2019 #15

1Bad88

1Bad88

1Bad88

That is a very fair price in my opinion. This is the type of deal that I hope to find once I get back on my feet.

16. Oct 30, 2019 #16

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

I looked at this, but the biggest hurdle for me is that I can't get the repairman certificate. So now you're in $500+ a year for an annual condition inspection from an A&P.

Looking at the ROI that means there is almost no value in this project.

Edit: can the wings come off? Shipping is the next hurdle.

17. Oct 30, 2019 #17

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

The number of man-hours that you would have invested, in order to build an airframe up to that level of quality and completion, renders the $500 for an A&P inspection essentially microscopic chicken s#[t by comparison.

If you added up the cost of an annual (condition inspection) for the next 20 years, it would still be HALF of what your labor (to build 3/4 of the aircraft up to this stage) is worth. THEN make sure to put a dollar value on being able to fly 2 or 3 years sooner than if you started building a Dragonfly kit today.

I'm sorry to sound so grumpy and stick my nose in your tailcone, and it's not my money I'm spending, but if this is a type of aircraft that you would enjoy owning and flying, then IMHO get off your a$$ and come get this one :)

18. Oct 30, 2019 #18

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Also remember if you find an a&p who likes cash! It might be cheaper to inspect than you think. A&Ps can supervise you.

19. Oct 30, 2019 #19

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Why not? Unless there has already been a repairman's certificate issued for that plane you should be able to get one. There is no rule mandating that you need to build XX% of the 51% to qualify.

"Can I remove the wing and canard and trailer a DF to and from the airfield?
    You are not going to want to do that. The wing is bolted on with 4 bolts that are difficult to get at even if you have a removable rear wing cover. The canard is bolted on with 2 bolts that are accessible from a forward hatch if you install it, and 2 bolts that are accessible by crawling underneath the instrument panel. Then you have to disconnect the aileron control rods and any wing lighting. Then you unbolt the torque tubes from the elevators and disconnect any canard lights and/or pitot tubes. If you have rudder pedals mounted on the canard, you have to disconnect all that, including the rudder cables and any brake lines you've installed. This is all a messy process that can take more than an hour with a lot of cursing. It's not at all like the Q-birds that just fold their tail section on a hinge. So, the answer is, you can remove the wing and canard if you have to, but you are not going to want to do that every time you want to go flying."

20. Nov 1, 2019 #20

PagoBay

PagoBay

PagoBay

100% Correct. I was looking at a group kit build and the Honolulu FSDO guy was on Guam for inspections. They don't care who gets the Rep-Cert, just has to be knowledgeable of the aircraft and how it is built. They are very accommodating in this regard. I was told in such a case, just pick one of the team.

So your primary concern is solved. Looks like a great opportunity and very little $$$.

RMM-Guam