Video: Van's RV-8 - Military Style!

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by smittysrv, Feb 4, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 4, 2019 #1

smittysrv

smittysrv

smittysrv

fly2kads and cluttonfred like this.
  2. Feb 4, 2019 #2

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

OT: While I believe that RV-6 variants have been used as trainers, I am actually surprised that no small country has ever adapted something like an RV-8 for armed military uses like border patrol and counter-insurgency. They are certainly affordable and one light machine gun with ammo plus a loaded 7-round rocket launcher pod together weigh less than a passenger.

3. Feb 4, 2019 #3

BJC

BJC

BJC

Apparently that project in Texas is no longer secret.

BJC

cluttonfred likes this.
  4. Feb 4, 2019 #4

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

5. Feb 5, 2019 #5

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

There have been many light COIN aircraft over the years, and there are a few offered even now, but I meant something specifically to take advantage of the proven characteristics and economies of scale of the RV kits.

6. Feb 5, 2019 #6

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A plane like an RV-X would make a good trainer for a military on a shoestring (and a side-by-side would be especially good). I think quite a few Pazmany's got used that way. As far as COIN, a plane that doesn't have ordnance that can outreach guys he is shooting at is at a significant disadvantage.

Plane: One/few of you, easily seen from far away, nothing to hide behind, surrounded by lots of flammable AVGAS and a lot of fragile parts that are critical to flight.
    Bad guys on ground: Maybe lots of them in various locations, lots of concealment, no noise, easy to dig in/find cover.

If the ordnance is of matching range, the plane is at a very big disadvantage. Add in the relative training and equipment cost of the plane and pilot vs the training/equipment cost of an insurgent and his machine gun, and the math turns even more heavily against this kind of engagement.

7. Feb 5, 2019 #7

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

The Pirahna conceptually is an RV, except beefed up to be somewhat useful. It has something like a 12 G structure and a very high (300+ IIRC) Vne. Even with all the beef ups, it wasn't a success. As pointed out above, a "standard" RV would be blown out of the sky in seconds.

That said, the Nigerian Air Force did buy a bunch of RV-6A's for use as a primary trainer and I think some are still flying. In that respect, the -6 is a "legitimate" warbird.

8. Feb 5, 2019 #8

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Historically some very light aircraft like the Tachikawa Ki-36 have been very useful in the absence of an enemy air threat. The Ki-36 was still a big plane at over 3600 lb/1660 lg gross and over 500 hp, but eliminate the second seat and crew member and use 2.75”/70 mm rockets and you can outgun small arms from beyond their effective range, even better if those rockets are modern guided versions. In many places that I have lived that would be a useful boost in capacity vs. just guys slugging it out on foot or in trucks.

9. Feb 6, 2019 #9

Geraldc

Geraldc

Geraldc