Video series on TIG welding thin wall aircraft tubing

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Video # 11 and this will be the second to the last video. Not many questions so I think I beat this to death. I probable spent too much time on it really. This particular video is important because while it's common to blame the fundamentals that go in to the welding process much of the frustration is due to inadequate prep work of the parts. Proper fit.

For the last video I’ll need to recruit my kids or my wife so i can film and explain positioning inside the fuselage when welding hard to reach places.

Last edited:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
There are so many answers in these videos that I didn't even know to ask yet. Once I get a clue I'll watch them over and pick up even more.
Thanks

Gotta just jump in and do it knowing you’ll be making mistakes. Learn to love the mistakes because success bis shortly after.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Excellent primer for us newbie welders. And some great pro tips for when we think we know what we're doing. Thanks for spending the time to teach us. Have you thought of offering TIG clinics? LOL...well kinda kidding but I'd pay.
People don’t need clinics, they need seat time. People simple don’t do it. Practice. You wouldn’t believe how many people get ahold of me and tell me how they bought this, that and the other and I ask them how much they’ve done and it’s always less than 3 total hours invested of actual welding.

People have no idea how much they could accomplish if they only tried. It’s the only real secret that exists. There’s nothing more to this. There’s no more or else I would have included it. If I had a clinic I would literally just repeat everything you can see on these 12 videos.

One thing I’ve learned about people is they simply don’t believe in themselves. It’s really kinda sad. A unbelievable life is waiting right in front of them if they only just do it. Fear I guess.

So my advice is to practice. You have some knowledge on the videos so go practice. Keep a log. Make notes. In your 10th hour of actual welding you will be absolutely great at welding. That’s just a fact. People don’t though, it’s the strangest thing. People spend the money on tools and they don’t use them. lol. It happens all the time.

Today there’s no reason why anyone can’t find 2 straight hours of welding time. There’s no excuse. Go out tonight even if it’s 12:00 midnight and weld for 2 hours. Weld for two hours straight as many 1” long beads as possible. If your struggl

During WW2 women were taught to weld in 2 hours and they cut them lose on aircraft.

edit: I actually know a number of people who bought thousands in equipment AND attended the EAA clinics and still don’t weld.The human condition is a strange thing. But those same people will binge watch Netflix daily. Life is a strange thing, success isn’t reserved for those who are skilled, it’s for those who just try and don’t quit.

Last edited:

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I believe that. I have done a little everyday for the last 10 days...not 10 hours but getting there. And I can see the difference. I had a really good session today when I finally figured out my helmet had two stages for the shade and I turned it down to 9 max instead of min. I could see the puddle and feed the 035 into it...starting to click.

This really was a clinic...exactly what I needed

TFF

What is great about the videos is the honesty. Not trying to be Superman just making it work. Jumping in is all you can do.

I also personally noticed that I do better when doing the real thing. Practice, I actually practice mistakes. I want to see what will happen. I think position and calling off the bead and shifting is a big key. It is understated, still. I always go too far and end up fixing something.

I think the comments are low because a lot is answered. Especially for someone who really is not going to try. These videos are good for the person who will really step in and try. Get them a little farther in the first couple of practice sessions. By then you really have the questions but you have enough experience to talk about it.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I went to Babcock and Wilcox welding school to learn to weld their Boiler tubes. About 8 weeks long and had an instructor for each group of 6 students. You welded 8 hours a day . Taught everything you needed to know to weld a 100% X-rayed weld. Tig and stick. Some time the first pass is Tig and sometime a chill ring. At first I was taught to count , 1, 2 move ----- 1, 2 move. So all of the weld was the same. Vary the count for what is needed.

Last edited:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
TFF and Pops, thank you.

I just know what people are capable of if they just put in the time. I wish people could see what I see. But I can’t make them.

Anyhow. I received a message from a person who raised a couple questions and I realized I should have wrapped this series of videos up better. I’m gonna make 1 more video that will really seal the deal for people and I believe it will give them some direction in getting from start welding in practice to fuselage welding. He was right, I left this out. I’ll fix it, I’ll make good on that.

Hatzdude

Scrapper, the series is well done, encouraging, and answers many of the questions people have inside the videos. The videos have a pleasant mix of conversational tone and instruction . More like two buds having a beer or two in your shop and talking about welding. Maybe like the old days? I am EXACTLY the guy you are aiming at with theses videos. I have tried my hand at all the hobby level types of welding, TIG, MIG, Gas and some stick back in the day. I have had varying levels of success across the different platforms. If you need the mower deck on your tractor welded, I'm your guy! Fuselage? Not so much.... Some of the stuff looks "safe" but nothing I'd like to stare at for a thousand hours from the seat of an airplane ( I know, aren't you supposed to be looking outside?)! MIG seemed to work well enough for car stuff, floors, rockers, ect, but not suitable for aircraft. Success at TIG has so far eluded me, and given that I also have a fuselage project looming in my future we're refocusing on Gas. But you're right, it's all about seat time. This week I'm going to head over to the local Metal Superstore and get a bunch of coupons, and head up to my buddies and log that seatime. Henry Ford said "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right". Words to live by....

cheers,
Ted

welding.jpeg weld.jpg Least challenging weld there is, in position, butt weld with thick, same thickness metal.. ya gotta start somewhere....

P.s. Next time I'm up at "The Big Show", I'll buy you a beer. Major Goolsby's or SOS Bros, your choice!

P.s.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Scrapper, the series is well done, encouraging, and answers many of the questions people have inside the videos. The videos have a pleasant mix of conversational tone and instruction . More like two buds having a beer or two in your shop and talking about welding. Maybe like the old days? I am EXACTLY the guy you are aiming at with theses videos. I have tried my hand at all the hobby level types of welding, TIG, MIG, Gas and some stick back in the day. I have had varying levels of success across the different platforms. If you need the mower deck on your tractor welded, I'm your guy! Fuselage? Not so much.... Some of the stuff looks "safe" but nothing I'd like to stare at for a thousand hours from the seat of an airplane ( I know, aren't you supposed to be looking outside?)! MIG seemed to work well enough for car stuff, floors, rockers, ect, but not suitable for aircraft. Success at TIG has so far eluded me, and given that I also have a fuselage project looming in my future we're refocusing on Gas. But you're right, it's all about seat time. This week I'm going to head over to the local Metal Superstore and get a bunch of coupons, and head up to my buddies and log that seatime. Henry Ford said "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right". Words to live by....

cheers,
Ted

View attachment 96890 View attachment 96891 Least challenging weld there is, in position, butt weld with thick, same thickness metal.. ya gotta start somewhere....

P.s. Next time I'm up at "The Big Show", I'll buy you a beer. Major Goolsby's or SOS Bros, your choice!

P.s.
Hey, your busy getting after it!!!!! That’s really what matter!!!!

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Very cool an excellent training scenario and skills builder. I'm already thinking of my custom phase 4. Personally I'm going to take a picture of each and (hopefully) see my progress.
Working in pairs is smart, definitely follow that advice. It would also be smart to completely smash and tear apart one of the pairs for the first few at least.

When you destroy something it actually instills confidence. It’s a great confidence builder. Otherwise lack or real world experience will make any newbie question their ability even if it looks good. So trash some of them and pay attention to how well they hold up.

Again, I’ll repeat what I said in that video. 48 seems daunting but you’re actually building the fuselage after the first 12. So your really practicing while building which is quite awesome. It’s a very smart way to accelerate the learning curve and you also end up with a fuselage.

Will Aldridge

Log Member
I've watched most of the videos and will watch the rest as time allows. I appreciate the time you've taken. Unfortunately I resemble the Netflix binge watching comment, but I'm deep into my kitfox project and have a welder lined up so not going to go buy welding equipment at the moment. But it's something I've wanted to learn and your video series makes it look like it's in reach. So thanks again.