Video series on TIG welding thin wall aircraft tubing

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Scrapper quick question about shade for tig welding around 55amps. I have auto dark helmet set at lowest I think 9 or 10. I still have a lot of trouble seeing if my light source isn't right on top of the puddle. Just part of the fun? or can I go lighter shade maybe with a fixed helmet? I have a +2.5 cheater in the helmet.

Sorry I don't want to make this a weldingweb Q&A nightmare but when you have a SME on TIG I have to ask.

Last edited:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Scrapper quick question about shade for tig welding around 55amps. I have auto dark helmet set at lowest I think 9 or 10. I still have a lot of trouble seeing if my light source isn't right on top of the puddle. Just part of the fun? or can I go lighter shade maybe with a fixed helmet? I have a +2.5 cheater in the helmet.

Sorry I don't want to make this a weldingweb Q&A nightmare but when you have a SME on TIG I have to ask.
Put a LED light on the area your working. This is part of the aging process. Haha.

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yeah thanks, It's working better now that I turned the helmet all the way down to 9. 55 amps doesn't seem to have any leftover vision artifacts. I'll work on better lights

Okay I'm sure every new welder thinks about this but right when everything is flowing and working, I need to feed more filler (cooler) and it messes me up. What if we had a feeder in the fill hand and then we could have a bright LED on it too. It could just have a button to feed some more rod. I'm sure the robotic TIGs have something that would work.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My helmet is always set at 10. I did put all new LED shop lights in so that did make a difference.

Attached are two photos. I built this using a halogen light from Home Depot and threw the legs in the trash. Then made a bracket and put on a cheap flexible tripod for a camera on it. I can put the light anywhere. Works great. My finger is pointing to the weld, this is how I set my light up distance wise when I decide to use a light.

I had this light/eye issue a couple years ago. It was like suddenly I need light everywhere I need to see or read. Doctor told me welcome to the world of aging.

AF2DF6EB-6DBB-4C24-8CE2-9AF7923C69CF.jpeg08E977DE-06C5-4AF3-87B5-8259C2D68C3C.jpeg

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Here you can see how I made it come together. Just a piece of steel strap with three holes. Two holes to mount the strap to the light and the center hole mounts the camera bracket which comes with the tripod. All cheap and inexpensive stuff.

3516CA72-D1D4-4444-9934-16567C63AB2B.jpeg

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yeah thanks, It's working better now that I turned the helmet all the way down to 9. 55 amps doesn't seem to have any leftover vision artifacts. I'll work on better lights

Okay I'm sure every new welder thinks about this but right when everything is flowing and working, I need to feed more filler (cooler) and it messes me up. What if we had a feeder in the fill hand and then we could have a bright LED on it too. It could just have a button to feed some more rod. I'm sure the robotic TIGs have something that would work.

What do you mean “it messed you up “. I’m confused by the statement.

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Awesome thanks....everything moves when i take my focus away from the puddle...two brain cells. Can't spare one to tell the left hand to feed more rod...mig wire

I like that light set up I'll build one of those

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The next set of videos will be on “position” the real solution to TIG welding issues. I will probably make 4-6 more videos on just this because this is where all problems lie. Position is the art, it is the “secret” to great success.

If someone watching this series doesn’t drastically improve the quality of how they weld please write a post and I’ll cover the issue directly. I won’t stop shooting until all issues are solved. Ok?

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Awesome thanks...that may be a long term commitment for some of us.

I've already had some good improvements with filler size and seeing the puddle.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
When I was young and welding boiler tubes for coal fired power plants, I was steady in any position and had better than 20/20 vision from my arms length in.
Now at 80 years old in a few weeks, I am shaky unless I am in a very relaxed position. Now with new lens in both eyes I can see a piss ant on a tree limb 1/2 mile away and even with 3 different glasses from out stretched arm length to close to my face, I don't have near the vision that I had to see all the details of the puddle. Welding is puddle control and if you can't see it you sure can't control it. Getting old is not for sissy's.
My buddy Dallas S. is 2 years younger than I am and is still steady and good close eyesight. So I do the easy welding and he takes care of the harder off position welding.
I did 99 % of the welding on the JMR but that has been a few years ago and if doing the welding on the airplane today, it would be maybe 70 % or less.

Dan

Last edited:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
When I was young and welding boiler tubes for coal fired power plants, I was steady in any position and had better than 20/20 vision from my arms length in.
Now at 80 years old in a few weeks, I am shaky unless I am in a very relaxed position. Now with new lens in both eyes I can see a piss ant on a tree limb 1/2 mile away and even with 3 different glasses from out stretched arm length to close to my face, I don't have near the vision that I had to see all the details of the puddle. Welding is puddle control and if you can't see it you sure can't control it. Getting old is not for sissy's.
My buddy Dallas S. is 2 years younger than I am and is still steady and good close eyesight. So I do the easy welding and he takes care of the harder off position welding.
I did 99 % of the welding on the JMR but that has been a few years ago and if doing the welding on the airplane today, it would be maybe 70 % or less.

Dan
Make hay while the sun shines right? haha

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Clearly I'm not getting anything done in my shop so I decided to shoot one more video and call it quits for the day. Gonna get ice cream with the wife and boys.

Video #10 More on position......using a stubby cap......and I made a mistake on my fuselage so I talk about that as well.......