Video series on TIG welding thin wall aircraft tubing

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bill-Higdon

I have oxy welded SS, was told to use a slightly carbonizing flame. Seemed to work ok for me.

Do any of you have a home recipe for a flux to oxy weld alum.
Lady with a first name of Dorthy taught welding at Oshkosh back in the day including oxy welding of aluminum IDK if any of her classes made it into video

robertbrown

There are a couple of things that make Tig better then OA. One is Alum and the other is SS. You can't weld either with a torch
My father went through A&E school at Spartan in 1951 when all they learned was O/A welding. After he finished the welding class, he got a part-time job in the mod/repair division doing weld repairs on B-17 exhaust heat muffs. Even an inexperienced welder can O/A weld stainless if he's taught to do basically the same job over and over again. Thirty some years later he looked at a cracked Cessna 140 heat muff and said "I can fix this; I used to do this all the time." He made an awful mess; you can't step away for thirty years and expect to still be good. He said that the welding instructor took the best student in their class aside and taught him to weld aluminum while the rest of the class was still practicing on steel.

don january

Log Member
Maybe little Scrapper can clear this up. If a person was to take lets say 3/16" Alum and butt two pieces together and take what ever flux or rod and take your torch to weld together and once it all sealed up and looks great. Then you take the torch again and heat the area to have the Weld drop away from where it was hooking the two pieces of Alum together. Now if you return to the same lines the beginning material "HAD"to me your just soldering the two pieces together and is in no way a true impregnating of the two pieces of Alum. What say you Mike ? or PTAirco

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Welding aluminum with hydrogen was the rage at Oshkosh back before everyone started using TIG.

Anyone else remember “Carrot Top”

Yes. Think it was Dorothy Aiksonoris or like that. EAA employee/intern type. Involved in the early Acrosport development. Wonder whatever happened to her.
The original one hole Acrosport was basically a straight wing Pitts

BJC

Reactions: BJC

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Maybe little Scrapper can clear this up. If a person was to take lets say 3/16" Alum and butt two pieces together and take what ever flux or rod and take your torch to weld together and once it all sealed up and looks great. Then you take the torch again and heat the area to have the Weld drop away from where it was hooking the two pieces of Alum together. Now if you return to the same lines the beginning material "HAD"to me your just soldering the two pieces together and is in no way a true impregnating of the two pieces of Alum. What say you Mike ? or PTAirco
If the base metal isn't melted, it's brazing or soldering, which are more or less the same, but at different heat ranges. It's only welded if you melt the base metal together, to become one piece.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Yes. Think it was Dorothy Aiksonoris or like that. EAA employee/intern type. Involved in the early Acrosport development. Wonder whatever happened to her.
The original one hole Acrosport was basically a straight wing Pitts
IIRC, Carrot Top built the only O-200 powered Acro Sport that I have seen. She used the EAA blue and yellow paint scheme. Nice looking, underpowered airplane.

BJC

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
IIRC, Carrot Top built the only O-200 powered Acro Sport that I have seen. She used the EAA blue and yellow paint scheme. Nice looking, underpowered airplane.

BJC
Yeh think so

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Dorothy became a captain flying 747s for Northwest Airlines.
I remember the NWA job now but didn't know she made captain on the 74. Not bad...lucked out on the timing.
Hated to see Delta buy NWA. Airtravel for folks from my area has been a PITA ever since. No directs to anywhere except ATL DFW or SLC.
Sorry didn't mean to go OT again.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Welding while laying on the floor?

Video #16 shot this morning while I was tack welding while laying on the floor. The foot pedal needs to be dealt with. I took the time to show people how I approach issues like this and how to get in to “position” when it seems it may not be possible. It’s always possible, it just takes time to find the right combination.

Bill-Higdon

That's good Scrapper, thanks.
I can get on the floor and get in position but then can't get up off the floor.
Where I worked until August of last year, the corner I was in had 2 of the 3 "older" workers in it, we were both over 70, and we used to joke that in the morning it wasn't snap, crackle, & pop it was snap. crackle, & Medic. Sadly we were more active & did more stuff that a lot of the younsters

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That's good Scrapper, thanks.
I can get on the floor and get in position but then can't get up off the floor.
In my 20’s I always thought the old guys should just suck it up and tough through it.

In my 30’s I felt a few joint pains and I’m like, this ain’t so bad, I’m tough. It’s no problem.

In my 40’s weird things started happening like all I had to do was wake up from sleeping and I’d have a new joint pain. Energy management is starting to be a thing. Like, there’s just certain things I walk away from saying “I don’t have the energy”. 😂

In just over a year I’ll be 50 and I’m genuinely scared to see what that’s gonna bring me😂

Gareth

I am 72 and getting on the floor to work on my build is labour intensive ,can get down ok but twice as long to get up ,both knees are needing inserts, back is aching ,shoulders aching no fun getting old but we just suck it up and get going, takes twice as long to the heavier stuff done just turned the fusalage over to skin the bottom and after the effort of turning(by myself) fitting,drilling,deburring, riveting was the easy part, will need my son to help turning it back not as many hand holds need to get as much of the internals done before closing up i cant kneel or squeeze in tight places (95KG) at 50 i was in my prime(in my head anyway) good luck

Marc W

I would like to ad my thanks to you for making these videos. I bought a HF Omnipro 220 a few years ago with the idea of learning to tig weld. Until last week, I had only used it for mig welding. Last week I bought the HF tig torch and tig supplies and started playing with it. It is a cool process! I know how to gas weld so it isn't a completely foreign way of welding. I haven't learned how to juggle and tap dance at the same time yet but I will get there. My biggest problem at the moment is finding the right combination of light and lens darkness so I can see what I am doing. Still experimenting there.

Your videos have been a big help for me in figuring out what I am doing.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I would like to ad my thanks to you for making these videos. I bought a HF Omnipro 220 a few years ago with the idea of learning to tig weld. Until last week, I had only used it for mig welding. Last week I bought the HF tig torch and tig supplies and started playing with it. It is a cool process! I know how to gas weld so it isn't a completely foreign way of welding. I haven't learned how to juggle and tap dance at the same time yet but I will get there. My biggest problem at the moment is finding the right combination of light and lens darkness so I can see what I am doing. Still experimenting there.

Your videos have been a big help for me in figuring out what I am doing.
I’d be happy to send you one of my auto tint helmets to play with. I use +3.00 diopter readers behind the hood and auto helmets. The darkness and sensitivity can be set in the helmet. Very easy. If you want just message me your address and I’ll mail it to you. Just return it when you are convinced it’s the only way to weld. Haha.