Quantcast

VERY STOL

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

KC135DELTA

Are their any stol aircraft with 4 seats that can take off in about 100ft? Besides a helicopter that is.

Cruise speed isn't important but we need 4 people and eventually 6 with a range of about 5-800miles.

I have a feeling that I am acctually going to have to design a new plane this time.

Captain_John

That is a tall order. The Helio Courier comes to mind, but THE HELIO has a takeoff roll of just over 3 times that distance.

Maybe making a smaller, lighter plane with the same wing and a 400hp engine would get you closer?

I think 100' is just too short to be feasible for a 4 seater with cargo.

:confused: CJ

cgwendling

Just remember that you can take off in a short distance with more horsepower, BUT landing will still eat more runway than taking off in most cases.

100 feet! Even with my plane, a single seat wood and fabric, landing stall of 24 mph, which takes off in 100' and lands in 200' is too short a mission statement for operating with passengers, me included.
The only plane that can do this short distance, and be safe is probably a gyrocopter. Haven't seen any plans for anything but single and two seaters though.
Why so short?
Do you need to take off and land in your drive way?:D

orion

The shortest take-off length I've come across over the years is from one of my past customers who flies his SuperCub in competition. He has his airplane down to a takeoff roll of under ten feet (I think six is his record), but his landing still eats up a bit over 60 feet (due to trim limits on his horizontal). But to do this the airplane is stripped down, has slotted flaps and drooping ailerons, more vortex generators than a porcupine has quills (under the theory that if a single row works fine then three rows must be great), and boost his IO-360 with Nitrous to generate about 320 hp. Not very practical.

KC135DELTA

I just realized that I made a typo, it is 400ft not 100, I think 100 is impossible.

400ft long airstrip but we can afford 10knt headwinds at all times of operations.

I would like a margin of error though. It's a pretty secluded area. Help isn't anywhere close.

The only help we might get would be the coast guard and we know how fast those old geezers are :gig:

I think 1,000mile range would be optimal but that's just a dream.

needswings

The Hornet STOL might be worth looking at. I'm not sure what the specs are but I believe its been configured with 4 seats in the past.

http://www.aircraftkits.com.au/ is the site for it.

The videos on that site are well worth a look.

KC135DELTA

I doubt that could be configured to carry six people. I am looking at the Compair 7. Anything along those lines?

KC135DELTA

thanks for all the info, they ended up buying a used compair - 7 and seem to be happy with it.

now back to my jet delima :confused: