Very low aspect ratio planes?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lr27

Aesquire:
My Stoopidfone has auto misspell. Sorry about that. Hopefully it won't screw up your name this time.

rotax618

Alas there are no perfect designs, all pushers have the engine behind the pilot, and the engine will always be the first thing that goes through the pilot’s mind in the event of a crash. It would be great if you could build aeroplanes out of Upsidasium, (its lighter than air and is anti-gravity), but we are stuck within the constraints of real materials and the laws of physics and the millions of compromises that entails.
I don’t think some of the comments and criticism on these forums are helpful unless you can offer an alternate solution.

Urquiola

Ducted fans are similar in principle to propellers, except with more drag.
Thanks: yes, but washout from propeller wind acts on wing, while Ducted fans inside a lifting body or fuselage will not, this is the difference I'm in doubt about. Another concept that seems interesting is 'Trompe' (see Wikipedia) a turbojet inside a duct sending by drag larger mass, lower speed air column. Salut +

berridos

This thread has been really extraordinary.
I dont know if coronavirus will trigger a baby boom, but for sure some nice homebuilts will be born in quarantine.
As i soon will end my new cnc eps cutter i will start a scaled down test programme to try to improve the verhees delta (already a brilliant design, so maybe improvements are just wishful thinking).
I have thought about a dozen devices worth testing. Starting from simple to more complex modifications i want to research the effect of sharp leading edges by producing a model that has a replaceable leading edge sections.
Bart Verhees states that the tractor configuration of his delta, is one of the most distinguishing and positive features, by reducing induced drag thru prop wash. Do you guys think the sharp section should start at the blown section (at the prop spinner) or starting just after the blown section in clean air?

berridos

With the price of a gopro mounted on a gyroscopic stand, do you still consider the view at landing as an issue?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Short answer...yes. Why depend on fickle technology when you don't have to? I'd much prefer a change in layout or the strategic use of a few clear panels rather than an electronic solution which will inevitably fail when you need it most.

With the price of a gopro mounted on a gyroscopic stand, do you still consider the view at landing as an issue?

Last edited:

Speedboat100

I have faceted aeroplane design....with wing panels of only 165 cm each ( 5,5 ft ).

I will propably make it as it fits my space where I work on these projects.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Messing around with the Piana-Canova rhomboidal wing, I came up with this. A 16' wing span would give more than enough wing area for an LSA/microlight two-seater. Clipping the tips moved the control surfaces aft, so I went with simple elevon control and maybe a small fixed trim tab on the center section to dial in hands-off cruise with the elevons neutral.

HBA concept sketches (1).jpg

Last edited:

flitzerpilot

Hi Matt and Homebuilders,

Talking of Arups, I concocted this ultralight concept a while back, part of a number of SSDR ideas I was looking at. CG is organised by length of motor truss. Cockpit ingress could be via a little trapdoor as on the UFO machine, but a stiffened inboard wing root to port with a side hinging cockpit is shown, hence the asymmetrical fin brace (to avoid a 'trip hazard'). Small wing fences could be an advantage. A version is being considered for electric power with batteries in LE.Concept Wing 2 (Arup).jpg