Verner S9 vs Rotec R-3600

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Early AM each day, I will be in the OX5 Club clubhouse. Tuesday, most of the AM, will be sitting by the fence on the north side of the homebuilt aircraft area watching airplanes arrive. I usually sit under a big straw hat.

After the airshow each day, I will be around Margaritaville having a beer, usually under the big food building close to the bar.

I plan to post something under the “Sun n Fun 2018” thread to see if anyone wants to try to meet.

BJC

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Me too. The plan is to have Samson Mite there with the Verner 9. Photos from a few minutes ago:
Very cool! I like the exhaust stacks out the sides, it should sound killer. Do you know if he's going to add any baffles between the cylinders?

BJC

HBA Supporter
Very cool! I like the exhaust stacks out the sides, it should sound killer. Do you know if he's going to add any baffles between the cylinders?
I don't think that Steve plans top add baffles. If he does, I'll post a photo.

BJC

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Steve added inter-cylinder baffles, but I don’t have a photo yet.
I was wondering if baffling was going to be required under that tight cowling. I'd be interested to see how he did it. Thanks!

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Great picture, thanks!

One of the things I was interested in was the attachment mechanism. Looks like the bracket that runs horizontally across the baffle is probably bolted to a matching bracket on the backside, essentially clamping the baffle in place. I think that is a pretty good solution.

dirk_D

I dont fly, but I have past experience with Rotec.
I will only state facts, not opinions.
The 1st motor was originally scaled up 7 cylinder inspired from a saito, 350cc with no reduction, for RC use, only one made.
The 2800 7 cylinder was born from this, by 2 brothers in Melbourne, Australia.
The motor has had 2 major evolutions;
1/ Billet head motors, rare.
2/ Cast head motor, biggest seller, common.
There is a full flow oil system in the works, not sure if has come into circulation yet.
They used to be made 100% in house, but now suppliers make up a small portion of parts.
I worked there for maybe 11 months, they since moved to an airfield in Tyabb.

Opinions,
They make a really cool retro kit for the kitfox, a classmate with good artistic skills made a detailed set of fibreglass moulds for them.
Keep up the good work to all at Tyabb.