Quantcast

Verner Anounced suspensoin of production for 3V and 5V radials

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Actually they said the discontinued them to dedicate all manufacturing capacity to the more lucrative 9 cylinder 😥.

I am hopeful they will expand capacity and resume in the future. I would like a LE with a 3V

Feel free to drool!

Very disappointed as I think they would fit the lighter side of aviation I like.

Matt

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
That's too bad. Anybody know how many of the 42 HP 3 Cyl engines they typically sold in the US each year?

FWIW, their web site says they've stopped making the 60 HP "Scarlett 5VL" model, but doesn't (yet?) say they stopped making the 83HP 5S model.

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
What blane said. well at least we can still GET a 5 cyl. (5S). Although at 152lbs it’s gonna take you into solid LSA territory.

Unfortunately, the 3V was over $9k. That's a lot for an ultralight engine.
Now I'm going to be pondering how to build a radials from Honda cylinders and a generator crank.
Ouch I rememberd $5K and I thought that was spendy. Competition would be good.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Anybody here buy one?

BJC
IIRC, ScaleBirdsScott is a dealer for Verner, maybe he has some more info on Verner's plans and the reasons for dropping these products.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
That is disappointing, but I can't blame them for going with what's giving them the best return on their investment.

I thought the 5V would be a good match to the Luton Minor I'm noodling on.

flitzerpilot

My resurrected Sperry Messenger design which was partially the inspiration for the Flitzer Z-1, at (now) 85% scale, was based on the 3VL. Calculations indicate that it would meed the UK's SSDR category. The drawings have now firmed-up though not yet to a publishable standard but several parts have been collected and earmarked for this aeroplane while the tail group is 75% constructed. However, other demands mean that I have to shelve it for the present while I complete drawings for other types, such as the Flitzer-Laird and F.2 Tiger.

A shame about the 3VL and 5VL. I hope the 5Si remains in production as this suits many of the smaller Flitzer biplane types and would endow them with sensational climb performance in particular.

pictsidhe

Just exactly what happens when there are more dreamers than doers.

Can't really complain about a product going away if nobody is going to buy it, can you?
I looked at them and decided I'd rather spend that much money on at least one complete UL...

Noeson

I contacted a Verner dealer (radialsrock.com) yesterday, here is his reply:

"We will be taking orders for the 3VL and 5VL until the end of October."