Varnish

Discussion in 'Wood Construction' started by cdlwingnut, Nov 6, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 6, 2017 #1

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I'm thinking it is time to start varnishing my tail feathers. Can you use most varnishes such as minwax from Menards or is it much better to get the polyfiber stuff

2. Nov 6, 2017 #2

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

What paint system will you be using? The MEK in the Polyfiber system will wreak havoc on most non-epoxy varnishes.

3. Nov 6, 2017 #3

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

FWIW...I used exterior Cabot brand gloss spar varnish. No particular reason for the brand other than it was available at the local hardware store. It's exterior varnish. I believe Kyle is right on about the MEK if you plan to use PolyFiber or other adhesive/covering system that has a MEK based solvent. I didn't worry about that since I had already decided to use the Stewart System water based adhesive and latex paint which played nice with the spar varnish.

Lynn

4. Nov 6, 2017 #4

TFF

TFF

TFF

I dont remember what you are building, I used System Three Clear Coat; its really just thinned T88. It would be nice if it was a hair thinner. The best of course is Polyfiber stuff; very rough stuff to use smell wise. I used some Minwax Poly on some internal stuff someone else had built and closed up; all I could do was shoot some in and move the parts around; better than nothing. You cant use it where Polyfiber glue will go. The thing about epoxy is in general its the best stuff to use all around if you really care about protecting or it will see rain or high humidity. I think the polyfiber stuff is a take on this, http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html Its really the same idea.