• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Variable Incidence Horizontal Stabilisor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

Oh how I hate not having my comp back up (yet).
I've got all these great ideas to try out and nothing to draw them with bar the good old Mk1 pencil, and no scanner to post them with.
Anyway, I'll just have to be descriptive.
I was thinking about an advanced method of trimming which even though it could add a bit of weight, could very well provide a superior method of trimming an aircraft over a wider range of mission parameters.
The idea stemmed from experimentation soon to be undertaken my Mr Langford of KRnet fame on the optimum angle of incidence for the horizontal stabilisor to give a neutral trim state at cruise.
He is basically making his horizontal adjustable on the ground, to be fixed once he has an incidence he is happy with.
I thought,why not take this one step further, and build a permanant pivot point in at the spar, and using an electrically driven threaded rod, similar to a feed screw on a lathe, to make the horizontals' incidence variable?
Could this provide a much grater range of trim? It may well be much more efficient than a traditional trim tab.
Sure, if it works it'll be almost twice the weight of a conventional electric trim, but for the versatility and possible greater effectiveness, why not?

Back