Van's announces highwing RV-15

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

PiperCruisin

pipercrusin, Van already has your design; the RV10. Unfortunately, it'll get off quicker and cruise a lot faster than your wish list. ;-)

I suspect that an all-aluminum Bearhawk (pick any model) from Van's would just about suck the life out of Bearhawk sales, except for the hard-core 'working' guys that needs to be able to field-repair the fuselage with a sledge and duct tape. Probably 90% of all of the 'STOL' designs being sold rarely see grass and likely never see dirt/gravel anyway; just like all the 4wd Jeeps, pickups, etc running around on the highways.
Yeah, I was thinking that. But, if he could get reasonable performance off a 4-cylinder like an IO-360 it might be preferred. Or we just ask Patey to throw as more money and horsepower as possible and now you have a toy for a limited few. RV10 is nice, but again, I don't like the nose gear and the composite top half is not as appealing as the traditional RV construction... to me, anyways. I think the Murphy line or the S21 meet my thinking the best.

rv7charlie

Murphy was almost 3 decades ahead of the 'right time'. If the Rebel had showed up on the market last year instead of the last century, I bet they wouldn't have been able to keep up with demand. If I could find a 'deal' on a project, it just might be my post-RV-retirement project (if the CFO would agree).

gtae07

Maybe, but I'd bet that *something* would suffer. G-load, gross weight, and/or especially, build tolerance. And that last one's a biggie, as more and more 'newbees' decide to get in on the fun of building.
I was assuming g-limits and payload remaining the same. And yes, some build tolerance would disappear (and build time/effort would likely go up too).

There are a lot of places in an RV where 6061-T6 angle extrusions are used, in most cases probably because they're cheap and easy to work with. Same with heavier sheet. In some places you could use custom machined fittings at 20x the cost. You could use thin riveted brake pedals instead of the heavy plans designs, at the cost of parts count and assembly time. And so on...

That's not to take away anything from what they've designed. They've done a really good job making a nice-flying airplane that's buildable by an average person, at reasonable airframe cost.

speedracer

pipercrusin, Van already has your design; the RV10. Unfortunately, it'll get off quicker and cruise a lot faster than your wish list. ;-)

I suspect that an all-aluminum Bearhawk (pick any model) from Van's would just about suck the life out of Bearhawk sales, except for the hard-core 'working' guys that needs to be able to field-repair the fuselage with a sledge and duct tape. Probably 90% of all of the 'STOL' designs being sold rarely see grass and likely never see dirt/gravel anyway; just like all the 4wd Jeeps, pickups, etc running around on the highways.
rv7charlie, I believe you're right. I own a 4X4 Dodge pickup. The only time it's been off-road is the time I backed over my wife's flower bed. I did, however, land and take off from that horrible pot holed up runway at Burning Man (88NV) in my tiny tire'd LongEZ.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I thought you take off and land directly on the dry lake up there?!?

Should be pretty smooth most of the time, unless the off-road 4x4 riders put ruts in it after a rain.

Tiny little Lamb tires on a Long-EZ though... I can see that a golf ball sized hole would be a big deal.

WWhunter

Murphy was almost 3 decades ahead of the 'right time'. If the Rebel had showed up on the market last year instead of the last century, I bet they wouldn't have been able to keep up with demand. If I could find a 'deal' on a project, it just might be my post-RV-retirement project (if the CFO would agree).

rv7 charlie,
Not sure what kind of 'deal' you are looking for, but I've got a couple of Rebel projects I have been wanting to sell. Might be awhile before I can get everything organized for sale. The Rebel is one of my favorite planes (well, next to my 172). This the Rebel I am flying.

PM me and I will get back to you when I can. I haven't been on the computer much in the last few weeks.

My new Rebel.jpg

Daleandee

rv7 charlie,
Not sure what kind of 'deal' you are looking for, but I've got a couple of Rebel projects I have been wanting to sell. Might be awhile before I can get everything organized for sale. The Rebel is one of my favorite planes (well, next to my 172). This the Rebel I am flying.

PM me and I will get back to you when I can. I haven't been on the computer much in the last few weeks.

View attachment 113831
That is a great looking plane you got there!

WBNH

I guess there's always room for one more...but between the Rebel, BushCaddy, Rans S-21, Vashon Ranger (itself designed by former Vans employee as the high wing Vans never built), and the new Sling high wing, (not to mention the Zeniths/Savannahs/G-1s) I'm guessing Vans is just planning on standing on their reputation for market space. It's hard to imagine any all-metal high wing they come up with would be significantly different than the competition. But I await being proven wrong...which is likely, I hope. If two seat, they must want to best Ken Krueger's Vashon Ranger...if four seat, they're going head to head with Sling. Personally, I'd dream of the Rans...I like the welded safety cage. Looking forward to what they come up with. An all-metal Bearhawk would be my guess.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I agree, an all-metal Bearhawk with quick removable rear seat. Or maybe like I built when I was building my Bearhawk. All 4 seats backs fold down to make a bed for 2 people for camping. The plans seat backs need to be reshaped a little to clear the fuselage sides when folded down.
Crank front seats all the way forward and unlatch the seat backs and lay down. The seat back latches have to be unlatched with the seat back in 2 different positions so the seat back can't accidentally go down.

My oldest son has a Jeep all set up for off road and if it rarely gets a speck of mud on it , its gets washed as soon as possible.

The SSSC has seen a paved runway one or two times since I built it in 2007. Been lots of mud under the wings.

Attachments

Last edited:

PiperCruisin

I guess there's always room for one more...but between the Rebel, BushCaddy, Rans S-21, Vashon Ranger (itself designed by former Vans employee as the high wing Vans never built), and the new Sling high wing, (not to mention the Zeniths/Savannahs/G-1s) I'm guessing Vans is just planning on standing on their reputation for market space.
The Vashon looks like a nice concept, but I question the useful load often found in the LSAs. It's like when some friends got together and bought a C152. Put a couple biggish people in there and you are overweight.

The high wing Sling looks nice and efficient. It is missing some horsepower for the backcountry, but go in light and with the turbo would make it very usable for two people. Carry 4 for joy rides and have about the right cruise speed for reasonable cross-country trips. 1000+lb useful is respectable. However, seems like they are asking top dollar. Maybe Van's can produce something with more value and/or unique. The extra hp Rotax seem to be quite pricy.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Van's (and Van himself) has a long and legendary history of creating airplanes with the very best overall balance between several different attributes and capabilities. When the company says that they're waiting to get "everything right" on the RV-15, this is almost certainly what they're after.

It will not out-STOL the Just SuperSTOL, it will not out-cruise the Lancair, it will not out-cargo the Bearhawk, it will not out-cheap the Mini-Max, it will not out-maneuver the Pitts. But it will wear many more hats than any one of those airplanes can.

That is why he's the world's leading kit airplane maker, and that is why the RV-15 has 100-1 odds to win already on the boards in Vegas.

Name and reputation doesn't always guarantee success (see Boeing discussion thread) but a solid company culture, solid leadership skills, and conservative thinking usually pan out to continued success.

Last edited:

rv7charlie

No idea on their plans for the hi-wing, but in 4 seat cruisers, we had the Wheeler, the KIS4, a couple of Lancairs, then a certified version of a Lancair, and certified Cirruses (Cirrui?) and oh yeah; Bonanzas and Mooneys and..... Now look at what Van's did with the -10.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
SPACE THE FINAL FRONTIER !

As a 300 pound man I can tell you what’s missing from Vans line up .

SPACE

Where is the plane that I can put three more of my fat friends in and fly for a couple hours?

OK what about just one of my fat friends and be comfortable both of us in the front seat?

What happens when you build that plane for 1200 pounds of fat friends and a couple hours fuel ?

You get a plane where are you can fly 600 pounds camping gear into a remote location and take one buddy to watch it
When you go back and get your other two buddies and your last 300 pounds of gear.
You can fly 900 pounds of moose Caribou bear or fish out at the end of your stay.

Sure you have a 100 mph plane but loaded lightly it can have great stol or 1200 miles of range

rv7charlie

Where is the plane that I can put three more of my fat friends in and fly for a couple hours?

OK what about just one of my fat friends and be comfortable both of us in the front seat?
Where is the car where that's true?
Those despicable a/c designers must be in some kind of subversive collusion to force people into healthier weight ranges...

Latest posts