Van's announces highwing RV-15

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Kyle Boatright

Supporting Member
Actually I was flying when Nixon was in office, but at that time the airplane I flew was manufactured by a company called North Pacific.

gliders%20002R1000.jpg
OOh, the Sleek Streek! I probably had a hundred of those over the years. Great airplanes. However, once you were up to a whole roll of masking tape to hold the pieces together, they no longer flew so well.

The Sleek Streek head a little brother (no landing gear) that never flew well. It may have been called the Skeeter. There was also a larger sibling that used a doubled rubber band and flew really well (the Master?). But it had too much performance for our little yard. The trees and the roof of the house did in several of those.

That whole product family flew much better than the Gullows brand. Too bad a balsa shortage (and switch to foam wings) pretty much put an end to the line. One thing I learned years after the fact was that the North Pacific products all had wings with camber - provided by intentionally warping the balsa in the manufacturing process.

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
That Sportsman is really impressive. You can go from 180 HP to 210 HP and beat the physics by 10 kts. ;-)

View attachment 127925
The formula would be very accurate if all aircraft drag is parasite drag, but it isn't. At speeds close to max level speed, for most planes parasite drag predominates and induced drag is small, but induced drag is never zero. As speed increases, induced drag goes down, so we'd expect the formula to understate (maybe very slightly) the speed increase expected from a HP increase.
Add in changes in prop efficiency, changes in fuselage angle of incidence with airspeed changes, etc and the situation gets murkier still. No simple formula covers it, though some may come close in some circumstances.

Twodeaddogs

Supporting Member
I can't wait for the cascade of after market modifications that will surely follow, to wit; tundra tyres, VGs, slats, slots, multiple variations of propellors, huge engines, a turbine engine, JATO rockets, rifle racks, ballistic chute, floats etc and the inevitable Mil/LE surveillance kit such as FLIR ball, targeting pods and rocket pods.......aaaaannnnnnnddddd breath!

Riggerrob

I can't wait for the cascade of after market modifications that will surely follow, to wit; tundra tyres, VGs, slats, slots, multiple variations of propellors, huge engines, a turbine engine, JATO rockets, rifle racks, ballistic chute, floats etc and the inevitable Mil/LE surveillance kit such as FLIR ball, targeting pods and rocket pods.......aaaaannnnnnnddddd breath!
Definitely needs a gun rack for the redneck crowd.
Hah!
Hah!

Pops

Supporting Member
Does that mean I have to put mud flaps on the SSSC to keep the mud off the bottom of the wing or can I still just take a long handle ice scrapper and get the mud off ? I have "Farm use only" on the flip down door. I thought that was enough.

Attachments

• DSCF0049.JPG
    DSCF0049.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 0

galapoola

Does that mean I have to put mud flaps on the SSSC to keep the mud off the bottom of the wing or can I still just take a long handle ice scrapper and get the mud off ? I have "Farm use only" on the flip down door. I thought that was enough.
That is a beautiful aircraft

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Paul Dye's Kitplanes article is pretty darn good, detailed, and informative. Thank you for posting.

Van's will certainly have a huge winner with this. The only thing that surprises me is that I had just assumed there was some kind of a gentleman's agreement between Zenith and Van's ... "I won't make anything that's real pretty and goes more than 140 MPH, and you won't make anything that can be used like a Jeep on a mountain strip"

Last edited: