Van's announces highwing RV-15

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Van sharing a few thoughts, in 2019, about a high wing STOL-like RV, with HBA addicts.

BJC

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Gotta love the tongue in cheek hype.

Highlights
It burns fuel and has a wing on top, looks amazing and has lots of awesome features …

Engine: Yes
Top Speed: Top Secret
Ceiling: TBD
Stall Speed: You'll See
Fuel Capacity: Plenty
Seats: Yes
Baggage: Oh yes

BJC

HBA Supporter
Gotta love the tongue in cheek hype.

Highlights
It burns fuel and has a wing on top, looks amazing and has lots of awesome features …

Engine: Yes
Top Speed: Top Secret
Ceiling: TBD
Stall Speed: You'll See
Fuel Capacity: Plenty
Seats: Yes
Baggage: Oh yes
At Oshkosh 2019, I saw Van and two or three of his employees closely examining a Glasair Aviation Sportsman 2+2. That led to our conversation with him over coffee, as referenced above.

Vans is selling lots of kits; Glasair has “suspended operations”.

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Wasn’t there a discussion here where several of our venerated members were suggesting Vans do a high wing?

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
They will sell a bunch to the Vans horde "just" because its another new design, but it will be interesting what kind of sustained market penetration they have considering the existing excellent competitors.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
It's a Vans, its a sure fire hit.
BUT it may be largely to the existing RV crowd that would have gone with another RV kit at any rate. Could lead to people pushing past their limits trying to do with an RV-15 what they see more experienced folks like Trent Palmer etc do in Kitfoxes and Highlanders - which may lead to trouble. Has the potential to be the most written-off RV model ever.
Still, I'm glad they are doing it and look forward to seeing it.

BJC

HBA Supporter
BUT it may be largely to the existing RV crowd that would have gone with another RV kit at any rate. Could lead to people pushing past their limits trying to do with an RV-15 what they see more experienced folks like Trent Palmer etc do in Kitfoxes and Highlanders - which may lead to trouble. Has the potential to be the most written-off RV model ever.
It won’t be sold unless it meets Van’s performance and handling standards. I have no concerns that it will (if sold as a kit) have a significant loss rate.

BJC

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
Insurance for anything backcountry like is way up because people are pushing hard with their upgraded182’s, Super cubs, Carbon Cubs, etc.

Watch YouTube. There have been tons of wrecked airplanes in that genre.

Reactions: BJC

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
I have no concerns that it will (if sold as a kit) have a significant loss rate.
I didn't say a significant loss rate, just more so than other RVs. More likely given the environment, and potential for new RV-15 drivers to out-fly their skill or experience in an arena with thin margins. As Kyle noted, it's practically a Youtube genre now, people wrecking bushplanes!

Not saying they shouldn't build it. They should, and I hope it is another huge success!

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
IMHO that would interfere with Vans "branding", brand identity, design philosophy, etc.

Martin Hollman already did the "highly refined Cessna", sort of, and only a few were built. A company in Canada "cloned" the C-185, and not a whole lot were built. So the refined Cessna approach IMHO would be following a failed path.

My bet is cantilever, less drag, constant chord, that "looks" closer to the RV. That's where my comment in post #2 came from.