Quantcast

vanagon watercooled??

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

revkev6

has anyone tried using a vanagon watercooled VW motor in a plane?? similar to an aircooled motor but 95hp stock with water cooling.. it must have been discussed at some point.

large_411f6ff6bdcce0b8ebdc45f3bd994cb5.jpg

TFF

Run away! Those were terrible engines. Concept is fine; never refined to be better than a grenade on wheels. They tend to blow head gaskets and overheat in one of those orders. I don't know if there was a real fix but swap in another. I think Rotorway did their own development.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Run away! Those were terrible engines. Concept is fine; never refined to be better than a grenade on wheels. They tend to blow head gaskets and overheat in one of those orders. I don't know if there was a real fix but swap in another. I think Rotorway did their own development.
The usual suspect in the wasserboxer is the water jacket seal at the head, as opposed to the seal at the combustion chamber. It apparently took a while for VW to figure out that corrosion of the aluminum parts was allowing leaks to develop. The fix was a pretty simple switch to phosphate-free coolant mixed with distilled water. Properly maintained, these motors work pretty well. I drove a Vanagon with its original wasserboxer and had good service from it. They do require more attention than a modern motor, but as an enthusiast of old VWs, I'm pretty used to that. ;) All that said, I'd pick a Subaru over the wasserboxer for an aircraft engine.

cheapracer

Log Member
has anyone tried using a vanagon watercooled VW motor in a plane?? similar to an aircooled motor but 95hp stock with water cooling.. it must have been discussed at some point.
i think The Samba dot com will yeild all the info you want about them.

https://www.thesamba.com/

Seems to be a lot of conversions to other engines for those vans, so doesn't look good.

Aerowerx

I refuse to use a machine with two "U" I. The name. At least that's the excuse I give my wife when she asks me to vacuum the carpets.
Would you use it if it was called "Pleiades"?

Look up the meaning of both.:gig:

rv6ejguy

except the concept was supposed to be lighter and direct drive.... subaru while making more power is much heavier especially with a redrive...

Highly doubt it's much lighter than a Subaru of similar power. An EA81 pumps out 100hp with a cam change and the long block weighs under 150 pounds. EJ22 is 188 lbs. 135 hp, EJ25 sohc 194 lbs. 160-170 hp. Hundreds/ thousands used in aircraft, hundreds of thousands of flight hours on them by now. Some very successful DD turbo ones, lots of redrive choices. None for the VW and no track record in flight for them either.

don january

Log Member
The EJ25 SOHC SUBARU looks hard to beat, especially being's my wife's car has one under the hood.;) I owned a water cooled Vanagon and in truth it was a dog in a head wind, on the highway that is.