Valve Seals

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc W

I have the heads off my 2180 cc Hummel engine and I see that there aren't any valve seals. I am not familiar with VW's. I have rebuilt a bunch of US cast iron engines and they all use valve seals. Is it normal to not use valve seals in a VW aircraft engine?

samyguy

I'm doing one now,before you install the new valve guides, have them turned on a lathe,
to fit vw rabbit valve seals, or other 8mm valve seals

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
about 3/4's of the way down he gives you spec's for turning down your guides for seals
Or just use the matching rabbit guides. They come turned for the seals and are just a bit shorter than the air-cooled guides. Work great on ground bound VWs with oil flow mods* but are they really needed for aircraft that operate at low manifold vacuum?

*Hoover and I disagreed on the short guides for intakes. I never saw any problems with stock cam profiles.

Pops

Log Member
Can't see any difference with seals or not, so I don't use valve seals.

Marc W

I read Hoover's blog. It seems to be focused on car engines. I also got the novel idea of calling Scott Casler. He originally built the engine but these are replacement heads so I don't know any history on them. Anyway Scott is always helpful and he said about what Pops said. He doesn't use valve seals. Good enough for me! Thanks to all for your comments.