Valley Engineering's new ultralight

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

steveair2

Log Member
Hey Guy's,

Check out Valley Engineering's new ultralight at culverprops.com.
Very cool! I wish they sold plans.

Steve

rtfm

Steveair2,
Sorry, mate - I just don't get it. That has to be one of the most damned ugly little planes on the planet - why would anyone build it? It looks like a joke. There must be DOZENS of nicer machines...

Just my 2c

Duncan

WileEZ

Sorry, I have to disagree, it's a nice looking airplane! I can think of many airplanes that's just plain ugly, yet flys well. And others that are just plain ugly.

I think this is a nicely done aircraft. It kind of looks like a little Storch with those landing gears.

I think with a little custom cowling and a dyed "loose gauze" covering in the rear, it would blend in at any fly-ins with no problem.

Yes, it would be nice to have plans.

Rom

For an ultra-light it looks like a "real" airplane rather than a flying kite.

PTAirco

I just saw the two seat 'backyard flyer' - ugh! Sorry - but there is a BIG difference between simple engineering and crude junk. I am usally very careful about criticizing somebody's airplane, but this is devoid of any saving grace. Scary even. Hideous at best.

Just because something is capable of sustained flight does not mean it is a successful design.

jumpinjan

I inspected the 2-seat B.F. last year and I saw it perform some neat STOL displays with just a belt drive VW. Its a very cleverly designed airplane, fuselage looks like all welded aluminum. Gene Smith and company are very nice people.
Jan

Last edited:

radfordc

Gene Smith puts function ahead of form in every case. The thing is his planes all fly very well. His focus is on short field capability. The swing wing feature is very innovative, too.

Charlie

steveair2

Log Member
They also offer a nice looking four stroke V-twin for ultralights.
I'm looking forwards to seeing the plane, engine and meeting the folks from Valley Engineering at Oshkosh here in a couple of weeks.
CAN HARDLY WAIT! I will be flying with my Uncle from Texas to South Dakota to participate in the Airventure Cup Race in his awsome RV-7.
Blood pressure rising.... I better go have a beer and work on my Biplane.

Steve

litespeed

Here is my ten cents worth-

The wing looks very similar to a Fokker DV111, that is the good thing.
Pictures of the welding I have seen are not really confidence inspiring.

only a mother could love the looks, for the rest of us I suggest do not look too closely- it sort of reminds me of a 740 volvo- very functional very ugly, both are great from the drivers seat-you can,t see the outside!:roll:

The motor looks good.

Keep the wing and motor and ditch the rest.

Phil

badger

Tooele Utah It's 40 klicks south and west of SLC
Just so you know, this is the Ultralight Backyard Flyer that steveair2 is talking about.

Well sir,

In my opinion, this one here (WileEZ's post) is a pretty not to bad looking airplane. It looks AND sounds good while flying too, especially with that Big Twin 4 stroke. The one that rtfm posted looks like it's got a coffin for a tail boom. But I spect with a little cosmetics, a guy could get rid if that square looking fuselage. It'd sure look better anyway, I think.

John

cpd

I would just like to know how sturdy that wing is, it is held by 4 bolts and NO STRUTS or WIRES.

cpd

rtfm

Hi,
I think you are talking about thwo things here...

First, the strength or rigidity of the wing itself, and second, the strength of its attachment to the fuselage.

I have no doubt at all that the internal structure of the wing is sufficiently robust not to need struts or bracing. I have no knowlege at all about the designer(s), except that he/they have done this sort of thing loads of times, successfully. If this is how they have designed it, I think there are reasonable grounds to suppose they have done their homework.

As for the attachment to the fuselage, four bolts sounds fine to me. Remember, even two-seat, heavy gyros are suspended from their rotors by a single bolt. It isn't called the "Jesus bolt" for nothing... :)

It is an easy matter to calculate the sheer stresses on those four bolts and use bolts of sufficient diameter.

Regards,
Duncan

Jman

Site Developer
Hey folks,

Because the thread had moved so far off topic I thought it would be useful to split the thread. We can use this thread to discuss the Back Yard Flyer specifically, and the new thread to discuss beauty as a design criteria. Here is the new thread: https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4385

Now that I'm back from my 15 month Baghdad vacation and have a high speed connection once again, I'm hoping to help direct traffic a bit better around here. My wife has even offered to lend a hand keeping up with posts and adding a feminine perspective (I think she finally caught the aviation bug!). Nuf said for now.