• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Vacuum Resin Infusion with Cores and Carbon Pultrusions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

So I've been busy in the shed trialing my newly acquired Resin Infusion tools. The plan was to make a composite beam for a few reasons:

1) I can test it to see if it is as strong as the calculations say it will be
2) Good way to practice with the new equipment and methods and get some experience.
3) See if Carbon Pultrusions in a glass structure work out with resin infusion
4) See if I can infuse both sides of a cored structure in one hit
5) See how much it weighs / how good a fibre volume fraction I get.
6) See if the "fold up" technique will work for me - Using a flat tool and then folding into a channel when at "green" cure

Anyhow here's some photos:
DSC04621_zpsi2wc6rqy.jpg
PVA relaease on 6mm Alu sheet

DSC04623_zps1co4pkuw.jpg

Glass on the tool (CF pultrusions are under the glass) 6 layers of 285g 2x2 twill

DSC04625_zpsutivneal.jpg

Peel ply and release film on.

DSC04626_zpshiyuqdat.jpg

Shade cloth as a flow mesh

DSC04627_zpsrhplzhtz.jpg

Bag on - Lesson learned - there should have been a pleat on the long side as-well as the short side to give the bag more slack!!

DSC04628_zpsk7kleebx.jpg

Vacuum pulled, gap between areas of mesh contained peel ply only and worked well as a resin brake

DSC04631_zpsyzre1qnn.jpg

Resin feed setup. I got 730mm of vacuum which held for 24 hours with the pump off, so no leaks.

DSC04632_zpsrkosj7uf.jpg

Infusion begins! I marked the bag whilst timing so I could see later how the resin progressed. This is about 00:01:20.

DSC04633_zpsj1pcrcll.jpg

Well advanced after 4 minutes

DSC04636_zpspvze5lox.jpg

Peel ply brake really slowed things down!! Pot life of this resin is 90mins so it wasn't even close to thickening.

DSC04638_zpsam2nk3bu.jpg

Done!
DSC04642_zpsfaimyfzo.jpg

6 hours later - ready to fold up.

DSC04643_zpsxupwsceh.jpg

Resin Like taffy. part folded and clamped. This was a real pain to do, I think I went a little too early - should have waited a few hours more.

DSC04645_zpsblzmmid3.jpg

Fully cured, clamps removed

DSC04646_zpsu8gu60hc.jpg

CF strips visible through bottom of part

DSC04648_zpskwpyy2do.jpg

Whole test layup removed from tool - small area of sandwich is at the back - tool to form joggle is on the right.

DSC04652_zpscphdts3t.jpg

Bridging at the edge of the sandwich (due to not enough slack in the vacuum bag) and poor packing down of the reinforcement when I applied the vacuum.

DSC04656_zpsl5c4tppq.jpg

Removing the joggle tool (brown tape covered cardboard)

DSC04659_zpsdavgamjb.jpg

U Channel cut in half to form top and bottom of box beam

DSC04660_zps8vhxweq7.jpg

Ribs in ready to join (went a bit crazy with the flox, wanted a good join more than optimum weight!!) would have been a lot neater for a real aircraft part (honest)!

DSC04663_zpsre7nbe9m.jpg

Final clamp up, we'll see how it comes out tomorrow!

Back