V8 engine Cessna 172

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv7charlie

Thanks for keeping us updated; please continue. ;-)
I'd love to do an LS motor in something, if I live long enough. Any chance you will sell the engine controller and/or the reduction drive, for those of us who want to build up our own engine installation? (I do understand the business pitfalls in going down that path...)

Charlie

rv7charlie

Questions: Is the big digital tach showing engine rpm, or prop rpm? Drive ratio? Fixed pitch, or variable; electric or hydraulic? I haven't seen a prop control yet (about halfway through the video).

edit (more Q): At ~17 minutes, you mention 210 HP @ 11.5 gph. Did you mean 210 *sea level* HP, reduced by your high field elevation? I can't make 210 HP & 11.5 gph calculate to a meaningful lbs/hr number.

Thanks!

Last edited:

TLAR

Banned
He offers crate engines so another nice option
Bearhawk is the first thing that comes to mind

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
edit (more Q): At ~17 minutes, you mention 210 HP @ 11.5 gph. Did you mean 210 *sea level* HP, reduced by your high field elevation? I can't make 210 HP & 11.5 gph calculate to a meaningful lbs/hr number.
Based on what is said in the video and observed performance, it appears the engine is producing maybe 210hp even at the high density altitude, enabled by the very large de-rating.
SFC if the numbers given are correct is 0.33 at WOT, 0.30 at 'climb power'. Which seems rather optimistic! Perhaps it is not producing quite as much power as claimed? I fly a 160hp C-172N regularly, and get nearly as good climb rates with 2 on board. It's a sweet old airplane in good condition, but nothing too special. Perhaps the aircraft is question is a bit heavier and draggier, but shouldn't be much - it's a C-172 after all. So maybe 170 - 190hp is more likely for this one?
I like what I see, though, and the redundancy and software appears to be excellent.

Aviacs

Did not go back & check density altitude if posted for vid, but my old C175 climbed considerably better than that with one on board into a strong head- or quartering crosswind at FDK. It also burned just over 11 GP"H" at almost any throttle setting in the green, per _tach_ hour. Wonderful, electric-motor smooth engines. (As with all aero engines) should have been subject of a bit more development.

Love the auto V8 concept & efficiency, though, how much does it weigh, FWF with all fluids?

smt

rv6ejguy

The best BSFC this engine is likely to achieve at climb power is about .45, if you want the piston crowns to live. The .35 figures are as good or better than any light aero diesel and .3 is impossible on any SI engine.

I suggest the engine go to the dyno to get real HP, FF and BSFC figures...

What is the weight of the engine, PSRU, rad and coolant?

Last edited:

TLAR

Banned
skydawg is on the way, and I wish him the best.
Nice quiet flying is highly desirable, IMO, and cheap compared to the legacy option.
I guess you could go ahead and add heat and air in addition to a very nice stereo

TarDevil

This is promising for GA, if the "PGD" proves durable. Availability cores and parts), simplicity of ops, performance potential would be a boost to ownership. I wish you the best, skydog, and look forward to progress.

narfi

Log Member
I couldn't find any specifics on power and weight on your website, do you have a link to that info?

pfarber

Ok, now tell us about the regulatory situation. The FAA is not going to allow you to put 172 airframes under amateur built experimental. That leaves the other experimental category which is dubious and highly restricted.

Your FAQ addresses this, and I don't think you're gonna have long before they crack down on the obviously NON-exhibitional use of the aircraft. For a flying club do you think a vinyl decal satisfies the 'exhibition' part?

Also, putting an LS into an airplane with an aftermarket ECU? Great! You've advanced to the early 1990s!