V - Witt / Witts V

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Turd Ferguson

The VW. Anyone know anything about that crazy prop extension? Was it machined out of billet or cast and spun?
What TFF said. The prop extension was cast aluminum. It runs off the drive side of the engine and the prop turns in the "correct" direction, like a Continental or Lycoming. A group of tailwind enthusiast own the molds to build the prop extension. It is available to borrow or rent for other builders. At least 2 extensions have been built from the original molds.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
That photo also shows how it would be doubly important to protect the spar end grain in this case.

And dang, that's a thin airfoil!

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yeah, it's really thin. Looking at the prints it's pretty much typical Wittman. Just down and dirty straight forward no nonsense airplane building.

Anyone know how tall Steve was? This airplane was probably extremely tight on him because the cockpit is pretty thin too.

TFF

Because the spar in socket is free for movement, I wonder if he gained strength there? Bolts and straps have to distribute the forces. It becomes less flexible at that point, even though small. He almost has a hinge right at the fuselage. The forces connect at a small spot that is not doing anything else. The wires are doing the forward drag connection.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Wow. I'm 6' even. When I was at my best physically I got down to 176. At 6'3 and 150 that a fence post

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I opened up the plans and took a couple photos for those interested. Here's a cocpit cross section. He built her pretty tight. Section B is the wing spar carry through and his knees were under it. Section C is obviously the aft cockpit.

IMG_20190609_135816864.jpg IMG_20190609_135823859.jpg

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Motor mount details. I thought this was pretty cool too. Ha, man he was a no frills guy. I wish I would have known him.
IMG_20190609_140421325.jpg

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have yard work to do so gotta get off. I always feel like I should do something airplane related on Sunday so decided to have fun going through plans for a few minutes. Looking through plans is fun, kinda gives you a glimpse to the designers personality.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Jack Cox went flying with Steve in the V8 Tailwind and said Steve would do these right turns to show what it could do with "thin" wings. Now who remembers how he handled a flutter problem? He wasn't afraid of short wings either.
I love how he handled the wing attachment on the V. It's simple, light and cheap.

Group Builder