V Twin

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bill-Higdon

Came across this today on one of the Quickie groups I belong to

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
He said in the link: Unfortunately the engine I choice at first, it was a Rotax 503 with around 45kg (all in), doesn't work for me because at the limitation of weight. It's not allowed to cross the max. weight of 120kg for the airplane based on the government restriction here in Germany. The other Rotax engine like 477 or 377 also do not works for me, so I did another investigation about eligible Engines that would fit my budget too.

Bill-Higdon

Now I see the issue. As a side note if anyone is a member Q-List on groups.io the Next Q-Tour - Nathan Peck in his Rotax powered Q-1 - May 8 at 0900 Central Savings time . It should make it to youtube in a few days after

TiPi

Log Member
When you are very weight restricted, a V-twin with a redrive is the wrong approach. A direct-drive V-twin will be quite a bit lighter as a redrive requires a substantial flywheel on top of the redrive assembly weight. The direct drive can use the prop as flywheel substitute.
The Q1 should fly nicely on 23-25hp with a direct drive B&S 38 ala Luciole (original flew with ~18hp).

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Not only weight restricted, but the Q-1 is restricted to a 50ish inch (1.3M) diameter prop due to ground clearance. That also happens to be close to the ideal prop for 28Hp@3600 RPM and 120 MPH. IIRC the original Onan prop was only 42 inch.

Nathan's Q not only looks nice it looks like he did a pretty good job of building a light weight version. Gave me a little more incentive to get back to work on mine.........

TiPi

Log Member
Not only weight restricted, but the Q-1 is restricted to a 50ish inch (1.3M) diameter prop due to ground clearance. That also happens to be close to the ideal prop for 28Hp@3600 RPM and 120 MPH. IIRC the original Onan prop was only 42 inch.

Nathan's Q not only looks nice it looks like he did a pretty good job of building a light weight version. Gave me a little more incentive to get back to work on mine.........
ideal airframe for a heads-down direct-drive V-twin :)

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Exactly why I'm working on such a creation. Got the parts for the prop hub last week so I can swing the Eiffel clubs.
Just need to make a final decision about PTO or flywheel end for the drive.

Last edited: