• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

V Speeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jman

Site Developer
Here is a listing of the V Speeds we hear quoted so much in technical articles and specifications. Some were a mystery to me so I thought they might be interesting to some of you. If you see any errors, omissions, or would like to comment, please do. Also, if you have an alternate explanation that adds to the understanding of the basic explanation, I'll add that as well. I'll make the corrections to this list to keep it accurate and updated.

- Jake

V Speeds

Va - Design maneuvering speed

Vfe - Maximum flap extended speed

V1e - Maximum landing gear extended speed

Vmc - Minimum control speed with critical
engine inoperative

Vne - Never-exceed speed (red line)

Vno - Top of green arc

Vso - Stall speed or minimum steady flight
speed obtained in landing configuration

1.3 Vso - Fence speed

Vs1 - Stall speed or minimum steady flight speed
obtained in a specified configuration

Vx - Speed for best angle of climb

Vy - Speed for best rate of climb

Vxse - Best angle of climb speed, one engine
inoperative

Vyse - Best rate of climb speed, one engine
inoperative

V1 - takeoff decision speed

V2 - takeoff safety speed

V2min - minimum takeoff safety speed

Vc - design cruse speed

Vd design dive speed

Vdf - demonstrated dive speed

Vf - design flap speed

Vh - max speed level flight with max cont. power

Vmca - min control speed with critical engine out, out of gnd effect

Vmcg - min control speed with critical engine out, during takeoff run

Vnm - what I am, out of money - Wally

Vmny - An inconvenient and annoying barrier that once reached, limits the speed at which one can build, due to cavitation of the wallet or, in extreme cases possibly even Visa-ne - Metalmaniac

Back