Using R/C engines in experimental aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

hogheadv2

2009-Polaris-Sportsman-XP-550-8.jpgIf your thinking that way, ATV engines with the divorced trans set-up may be a viable choice for low cost high torque [ Tq does the work, HP is just a math equation of tq and speed.] Put a second plug in the head, have the flyback from the mag/coil [off lawn tractor charge battery] Pushes those heavy ugly things 45-60mph through the dirt..... Air is a breaze =D

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like a bike engine, an ATV engine isn't made for sustained high power.

"Torque does the work" is not the whole picture, it's power that does the work at speed. You can't ignore rpm (or airspeed), and then you're talking about power.

-Dana

Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

Richard6

Lithium Iron batterys have a greater engery density than ni-cads. But like ni-cads, you have to watch the discharge voltage. On the plus side of Lithium Iron batts, you can charge them with a standard lead cell charger.

Richard

autoreply

Lithium Iron batterys have a greater engery density than ni-cads. But like ni-cads, you have to watch the discharge voltage. On the plus side of Lithium Iron batts, you can charge them with a standard lead cell charger.

Richard
As far as I've understood it, you need a lot of care during charging. The wrong approach can blow up your plane and change the flight in a ballistic trajectory and might it surive the blast, it'll quickly burn. It's also necessary (dependent on where you fly) to heat up the batteries before and during use to get any useful power. Given the large number of cells (and the accompanying large risk of a single one going south) I'd advise extreme caution.

Two 747's have recently crashed because the passive freight (indeed, lithium batteries) lit up...

matthass

Hi Guys,

ok so its not quite an RC engine but UAV designed by 3W.
546cc and 40hp and 16kg..

:shock:

Just got it so still havent started it up and will let you know how it goes!

Attachments

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Very interesting indeed!!! I wonder if rain would be a factor for the electric motors?
I just returned from Oshkosh.
Dale Kramer flew his electric Lazair ultralight everyday at Osh using RC model batteries and controllers. The Joby motors were not harmed by rain (I asked).

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Guys,

Are you going to mount a redrive and/or starter on it?

Keep us posted...

-Dana

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Richard6

As far as I've understood it, you need a lot of care during charging. The wrong approach can blow up your plane and change the flight in a ballistic trajectory and might it surive the blast, it'll quickly burn. It's also necessary (dependent on where you fly) to heat up the batteries before and during use to get any useful power. Given the large number of cells (and the accompanying large risk of a single one going south) I'd advise extreme caution.

Two 747's have recently crashed because the passive freight (indeed, lithium batteries) lit up...
Your are thinking of the Lithium Polymer batteries like typically used in laptops and model airplanes. The Lithium Iron batteries are almost indestructible. Yes they may not work well when very cold, but then neither do I. Here is a link to a discussion on the Lithium Iron batteries:

LiFePO4 Lithium batteries EV battery Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries electric vehicle ebike electric car battery

autoreply

Your are thinking of the Lithium Polymer batteries like typically used in laptops and model airplanes. The Lithium Iron batteries are almost indestructible. Yes they may not work well when very cold, but then neither do I. Here is a link to a discussion on the Lithium Iron batteries:
I stand corrected :)

dino

HBA Supporter
Hi Guys,

Please do.

Dino

challenger_II

Lithium Ferrite batteries are way more robust than lithium polymers, though they do not have the same energy density.
From the experiments I have conducted, the "round cells" are better suited to high discharge, and charge, rates than the "soft pack" LiFe (the one's that look like the LiPoly's used in model planes) batteries. Niether will self-ignite, and burn your plane down, like a LiPoly in thermal overload (caused by over discharge, etc.). On the round cells, you should have a low-voltage cut-off set for 2 volts per cell, to prevent damaging the cell.
Having played with lithium-driven electric power systems, for larger model planes, I can tell you that you'd better have some DEEP pockets!

LiFePO4 Lithium batteries EV battery Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries electric vehicle ebike electric car battery

topspeed100

Banned
Hi Guys,

This is awesome...2 of those and you could go after the FAI records in under 661 lbs calss.

delta

I tend to judge people (and the things they're selling) on the quality of their writing, and based on the description of the engine...

-Dana

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Snake oil? I couldn't find any pro's or con's via google. For the price and the fact that I'd need two or three of them, I guess Continental wins.

Rick