• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Using engines to damper vibration or fluttering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doggzilla

Ok, so a while back I read something about how the B-52 uses its engines as counterweight to stop fluttering and to eliminate the need for weight on the leading edge of the wing. We have also discussed how a freewing requires weight on the front end in order to be balanced, as well as how controls require counterweights. We also know that it can be complicated to reduce vibration in a vehicle that doesnt have all the vibration dampening of an automobile.

That said, perhaps it would be productive to research using the mass of the engine to damper the flutter of freewings and controls, and use the freewing or control surfaces to dampen vibration in the engine...

It sounds complicated, it would be rather simple to connect them using a pair of bell cranks.

I know its a bit more complicated than that, but it seems as if using the air to dampen vibration could reduce complexity or increase reliability, while the components being effected would be easily inspected and repaired, unlike the inside of an engine...

Just a thought, nothing I can really do myself.

Back