Use of PVC covered wires

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Ron Gandy, Aug 16, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1

Ron Gandy

Ron Gandy

Ron Gandy

What are the rules regarding the use of PVC covered wiring in the engine area forward of the fire wall in the building of experimental aircraft. I clearly understand that PVC can not be used in the cockpit.

2. Aug 16, 2016 #2

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Rules? There are none, except for what the DAR feels like during the initial airworthiness inspection. That said, there's a reason aircraft primarily use Tefzel insulation.

Wait, you're in the UK. I don't know what the rules are over there.

Why do you want to use PVC insulation instead of Tefzel or other aircraft-grade wires?

3. Aug 16, 2016 #3

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I imagine cost is a pretty good motivator :)

That and a lot of really nice automotive wiring kits come with PVC wiring. Some cool stuff out there, for sure. Probably pretty easy to switch out Tefzel, though. But a spendy swap.

4. Aug 16, 2016 #4

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

My question is why you would want to use wire that has such a low temp rating? With a jacket limitation of less than 200F, why take the chance of it burning?

5. Aug 17, 2016 #5

Ron Gandy

Ron Gandy

Ron Gandy

some of the sensors on the engine we use are bespoke, we have the original engine wiring harness delivered with the engines so at present we are removing the male plugs from the harnesses and re soldering them using aircraft-grade wires. If it was possible to use the original PVC wire perhaps sleeved it would be worth considering.

6. Aug 17, 2016 #6

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

Check with LAA. They will know what is customary in England. I would not risk a DAR (or the UK equivalent) saying no and then having to do it again... Besides, if I do have a problem, I want things working as long as I can and the engine shutdown to occur when I say.

Billski

7. Aug 17, 2016 #7

Ron Gandy

Ron Gandy

Ron Gandy

Sorry Guys, reviewed my thread need to give you more information, I am part of a development team building a diesel engine for Experimental aircraft market. we are using a factory delivered Subaru Euro 6 engine as our power unit which is delivered complete with wiring harness. (hence my original question. The the USA is a target market hence I need to find out what you Guys have to say. We are at pre- flight stage having completed static testing and will be sending 2 engines to the USA next month for flight testing.

Mr Vans (Dick VanGrunsven) will be at the LAA Rally at the end of the month and will see the engine running on the test rig.

8. Aug 17, 2016 #8

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Here in the USA we have what is called "plenum rated" cable, with Teflon insulation, IIRC.

It will burn if held directly in a flame but will not burn on its own. It is required by the National Electric Code for use in ceilings in all commercial buildings.

9. Aug 17, 2016 #9

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

As gtae07 noted above, Tefzel is the standard. Why use anything for a new offering that you would need to explain? Go with the standard.

BJC

10. Aug 17, 2016 #10

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

There is generally no restriction on using the Suby harness on an experimental in the US. It only has to be "safe". Subaru harnesses are well made, the wires are color-coded and they do well in a car engine compartment. Use the Suby harness unless there is a British rule otherwise..

11. Aug 17, 2016 #11

fredoyster

fredoyster

fredoyster

By all means if you are talking about the factory harness for that engine, use it, if for one reason only: it will have been engineered for the connectors they use. Far more wires fail as a result of poor termination at the connector than for any other reason. Good luck with your project, you can be sure people will be interested. It would have happened here but that Subaru hasn't sold cars here with EE20 engines yet.

Himat likes this.