• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Use of Kydex or Formica as leading edge of wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insect

So I looking for an different leading edge material for the wings, for a Part 103. I expect to use Tedlar (or regions of mylar) for all surface coverings, except the leading edge. Has anyone made a kydex LE?

Kydex: I have a 0.020" sample coming in: The plan is to make 24" long pieces, with a 1/8" gap between panels, which will then be covered with polester floor tape to seal the gaps. I don't want the Kydex manipulating wing shape or contributing to stiffness, oilcanning, etc., at 24" sections it would offer the wing considerable structural independence of the kydex, and also allow me to form the pieces easier. It is easy to make wood forms on CNC from lumber pine, then make a vacuum bag system (a framed quick engage bag) or positive/negative mold system, and go from hot state, to tensioned in the the mold within about 15 seconds. If this system works, the LE's would be pretty accurately formed. Kydex is particularly attractive to me as it balances rigidity, impact strength, and weight in the 0.020 form. Every other piece would be white/(other color) which also contributes to a bit of airspace visibility/safety.

Formica: I have no experience with it, other than knowing it is a paper based laminate and has high hardness and smoothness. Anyone have experience with it, speculations? I prefer not to but a $50 large sheet just to try. I understand in WW2 they used Consoweld, which bears similarily for some (unknown) aircraft parts.

Back