Usable single-seater on 24 hp?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lr27

Budweiser horses, i.e. extra large. (And yes, I can't figure out why they'd want to associate horses with their beer.)

Chilton

There are also several Fe Pischof designs that flew with 25 hp, and if you believe this article, his biplane flew at 60 mph with 4 hp (I don’t believe the 4 hp part).

View attachment 92987[/QUOTE]
I suspect the 4 horsepower figure comes from the days of quoting horsepower on the basis of displacement, so it would be about a 440 cc displacement, probably nearer 16 bhp or more.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Like you said, folding wings are more often talked about than actually used.

I could see leaving a Catto-style biplane wing structure intact and simply unbolting (or hinging and folding sideways) the forward fuselage. If the canard were controlled with a pushrod and the nosewheel free to swivel, you’d only have to disconnect/connect one control and remove/replace 2-4 bolts or pins.

I’m not kidding. If nothing else it would be an easy way to transport the plane when you don’t want to or can’t fly it.

I’m not completely serious about the Star Wars bit, but I think the associations would come naturally. One nice thing about the diverging X-wing layout is that it would minimize biplane interference.

Two 24’ span wings with 3’ chord each plus an 8’ x 3’ canard would give you a whopping 168 sq ft of area to play with in a relatively compact package.
The main reason for folding wings is to put the plane on or in a trailer? Trailers legal, licensed, and insured for the road ain't cheap either.

lr27

TFF:
In 1890 they had to use horses. NIW, they go to all sorts of extra trouble to show off horses.

-------
I think the Useless Flying Object probably needs more than 24 hp.

litespeed

The UFO, will need more, yes.

But what a great design for big fun, dirt cheap and easy to build for a full aircraft. And efficient with what its has power wise for its mission.

Its flying characteristics sure are a bonus and will impress on the flightline as well.
A V twin would be great in the front and could be great looking. With a Ace redrive, the centerline would drop the motor down more into the leading edge shape and hide most of it.

And with a Gaokin water cooled V twin, could be almost invisible.

For even more fun, cover it in see though mylar. Add Wonder Women.......

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I have always wanted to build an original low aspect ratio design to take advantage of the reversing of the induced drag curve as you get to very low aspect (Zimmerman NACA reports, etc.). I actually like the Italian Piana-Canova rhomboidal wings as the straight lines would be easier and quicker to build than the curves of the Arups. See Low aspect ratio with an Italian accent. Someday....

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
No longer available, but seems to meet your criteria. (May already have been mentioned.)
http://eureka.mynucleus.ca/picture1.htm
BJC
That sure meets the "I could build that" criteria--very simple (primitive?). The aluminum skin over foam ribs would also appear to avoid the use of composites, another stated requirement. I didn't see mention of how the wing spars were done. As built, the planes use light 2-stroke engines (22 or 25 HP), so using a heavier 4 stroke engine would require some adjustments. They ain't pretty (IMO) and they ain't fast, but they look easy to put together and cheap to build and to keep.

Reactions: BJC

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Ahhh... The Eureka. I tried to look that up, but it disappeared all too quickly. Wonder what happened...
Yep, I'd like to learn more, too. It probably deserves a thread, surely somebody knows. Is there another design with closely spaced bare foam ribs and aluminum skin? Info on the stress analysis, bonding method,m and any testing would be interesting.

Group Builder