Quantcast

Upgraded aircraft design "software"

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Comes under the category of "mine's bigger" AND YOU WIN! jealous.

My high school physics teacher had one of those but white over the chalk board. Used to challenge calculator students to duels. He always won. The clacking was loud.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
They had one of those when I was in junior high school. I was the the last class to be taught how to use it; the following year students were told, "buy a calculator."

I still took my slipstick into important exams all through college. Saved my butt once when my calculator batteries died. Still have it somewhere.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm not even sure I can find my favorite SR anymore. Have to admit to using a calculator from the time of my first one with trig functions.
I did take a small one with me to the grocery store for many years. It was the quickest way to see which box of calories was the cheapest.

Aerowerx

Mid 1980s. I was working on my MSEE.

Taking some engineering class with about 50 students, IIRC. The professor asked how many knew what a SR was. About a dozen held up their hands. Then he asked how many have actually used one. Only 3, including myself.

Oh, how far have we fallen!

I have been thinking, if I can find my CRC Tables, building a little wood box with glass front. Inside would be the CRC Tables and a slide rule. Outside a small hammer on a chain. A sign on it "In case of power failure break glass".🤣

Hephaestus

It would be heresy to built that box with CNC cut parts.
Maybe add a 4H pencil and pad of paper?
CRC was that little book with tables of numbers and formulas you grabbed before every calculator had sin/cos/tan buttons to push :) I think I have one on a shelf somewhere.

They're definitely before my time.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
CRC was that little book with tables of numbers and formulas you grabbed before every calculator had sin/cos/tan buttons to push :) I think I have one on a shelf somewhere.

They're definitely before my time.
Little?

Hephaestus

Pretty sure there were a few versions offered ;) depending on what math you needed.

Y'all may have encyclopedia versions - but they also made little pocket sized reference ones for us idiots in the field 🤣

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Would it be OK to use a CNC that was programmed by paper tape created on a PDP-8?
Considering that my brother said they were still using paper tapes to program his Phalanx guns when he retired, about 6 years ago, I'd consider it acceptable due to this precedent. A purest might not.......

I made my TIG welding cart from a hard drive cabinet from a PDP-10. Stout little piece of metal. I still remember my friends stack of cards to simply calculate the displacement of an engine, made for that same PDP-10. Imagine what the stack of cards would look like to program a simple modern 3D printer!?!
I used bags of punch card chads as insulation in the atic of the shop at one time. Not exactly fire resistant :eek: - but they were free.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Punch card chads! That was a blast from the past. Made me think I am as old as I look :) But I never have to grow up.