• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Updates on the seaplane ultralight!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullmetalwelder

Hi! For those of you who don't remember me I'm the guy who lives on a small Island and want to start building an aircraft.
There are some updates, I've figured out what to build, I've chosen a Pietenpol air camper because it's a relatively simple project and I have large access to boat-building grade wood (that's the only wood they sell on the island lol), and then I'm gonna buy some pre built floats or make them in fiberglass (I have some experience with fiberglass because we use it very often to repair some boats or sea related things). Plus I've already bought the plans.
Anyway the next thing to figure out its the engine, I can basically choose between 3 engines:
1) a Fiat Fire 1.4 (98hp, 70kg approx)
2) an Alfa Romeo boxer 1.5 (78hp, 80kg approx)
3) an air-cooled VW beetle engine (??hp)
The fiat and the Alfa engines are extremely easy to source, I think there's already a Fire on the island, they cost very little (like 300 euros for a good one), they both have efi and they are super robust. While the beetle engine have carburators and it's air cooled, I know nothing about it but I see that a lot of people use it even without reduction gears, what would you guys suggest? Machining and fabricating it's not a problem for me, I'm kinda skilled in welding and I have a small mill and lathe at home, so making weird modifications on the engines it's not a problem.
I accept every tips and suggestions from you guys, hope at least one of those engines suit my needs.

Back