Update Garmin GPSMAP 695 with standard USB cable?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
Device came with my plane. Don't have the original Garmin programming USB cable. Does it only work with that specific cable and if so what makes it special? Looks like a standard USB cable to me from images,

Daleandee

Not sure about the answer to your question but if you are seeking to update this unit it appears that you can do so through the SD card. From the Garmin site:

The GPSMAP 695 includes an SD™ card slot for extra memory and updates. Keep track of the databases on your GPSMAP 695 through fly.garmin.com, our online manager that helps you update, manage and purchase the latest aviation data for your Garmin device, all in one place.

Perhaps you can download the update to your laptop using an SD card and them move it over to the 695 unit.

Don't know if this helps ...

BJC

Supporting Member
Device came with my plane. Don't have the original Garmin programming USB cable. Does it only work with that specific cable and if so what makes it special? Looks like a standard USB cable to me from images,
Don’t know about your 695, but the SD card for the GNS430 does not fit a standard slot in my PC. I had to buy a usb-to-Garmin SD card cable to download updates. It has been some time, but I think that the cable was about $85. Someone in your EAA chapter may have one that you can borrow.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Garmin’s business practices?

BJC

Standard USB cable works just fine for the 696 updates. Depending on the device it's connected to, there may or not be enough current available to power / charge the unit. If the unit won't charge while connected to the computer via USB, be sure to charge it fully before beginning the update process.
Starting with the 796, there is a separate input for power--usb is for data only.

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
Standard USB cable works just fine for the 696 updates.

Does the SD card show up as a drive when you plug in the USB cable? I expected that but it didn't happen when i tried. I wonder if i have some electrical contact issues.

Perhaps you can download the update to your laptop using an SD card and them move it over to the 695 unit.

Yeah this should work as well. I only have a micro SD card reader. Maybe need to get one for the full size SD cards.

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
Don’t know about your 695, but the SD card for the GNS430 does not fit a standard slot in my PC

It seem to be a standard format in this device. Maybe the higher end Garmin devices use a different mechanical standard to enable stuff like Flight Stream.

Last edited:

Daleandee

I've tried that last night with micro SD plus adapter but it wasn't recognized. Is there a way to tell that the device is "seeing" the card?

Generally when I plug an SD card into my computer it will recognize it and ask what action I want to take with it (Windows 11).

If you're talking about the GPS unit I admit that I have no idea. Here in appendix C, pg 197 in the manual or 213 using the guide pane on the left of the screen is the beginning of the section on SD cards for the 695/696 units. The info you're looking for (I think) is on pg 203 of the manual which is 219 in the guide pane on the left.

FWIW, I have an old 196 unit that drives my Auto Pilot and the only way to upgrade it (that I have found so far) is to send it to a guy that does the upgrade and returns it. Cost is about $50.

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
I wonder if there is a bad electrical connection between the SD card and the board. When I copy the firmware upgrade file a new Micro SD card and insert it nothing happens. When I leave the original card in the device and connect via USB cable it does not show up as drive. Just trying to narrow the problem down.