Quantcast

under 200 lbs?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Streffpilot

Hey, I am wondering if it is possible to get a corvair engine under 200 lbs? I need about 100 hp, and definitely want a 5th bearing. I know very little about them. Was thinking hand prop to save the weight of a starter? A Continental o-200 is approved for the airframe, so that is my goal. I like 6 cylinders, and am an adventurous kind of dude. Just heard about Corvairs, and am very intrigued.

Thanks for your help.

Streffpilot

Dakota hawk. I only worry about having the power at low enough revs to swing a big enough prop. it isn't a high speed airplane by any means.

Last edited:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Just to be clear: is your limitation of 200 lbs. the engine weight, or the firewall forward weight?

Streffpilot

i was told that was engine weight. a Continental o-200 is approved, and i doubt that that comes in under 200 lbs firewall forward.

can one hand prop a Corvair?

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I run corvair on my plane and yes they can be hand proped. weight wize is a bit more like 220 lb. many planes fly with a 0-200 and if that fits the corvair will work. You got a Dakota Hawk getting ready to spead its wings? cool. A corvair under 200 lb. I dont think so but you can check with Bill Clapp he could probably answer the best. Don

Bill Clapp

Ive built corvairs at less than 200 lbs. It can be done. However, let me say that in most cases it has never been the big issue people make it out to be. There is more to weight and balance than a arbitrary "it has to be less than 200 lbs" We did a sonex conversion years ago and we ended up with a much more stable and better flying plane with the heavier engine. Call me up and give me some data to punch through to be sure of where you would end up.....after Sun n Fun though....quite busy at this moment

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
As a KR owner with Corvair I would say the 5th bearing of Azaleaaviation has the best design, Tho William Wynnes product is proven and also reliable. I belive both systems are sub contracted so there is alot of people to be thankfull for on the bearings in question. Don

DaveP

Look closely at how the bearing is constructed. Azalea has a design that captures the prop forces and isolates them from the crank. Both thrust and P-Factor. Safety, safety, safety.

Bill Clapp

The IFB we do at Azalea Aviation is our own design (patent was applied for) and is done in house. However any maintenance can be done by the purchaser

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Hey Bill how about letting me know the answers to the post in Sun N fun you were there and probably no the answers, recap does your planes run mufflers? is your engines safty cabled to the motor mount ? just looking for updates