Quantcast

Unadvertized secrert abilities

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

alvinator

While planting trees in northern Manitoba I ran out of bug dope... WD 40 worked better than any I have tried... I'll probably get cancer someday, but it was a good summer.

Yellowhammer

WD-40 will kill wasps. We call them 'Mud Daubers' as they build a nest with mouthfuls of mud and attach to the underside of eaves. Best time to spray the nest is at night when they are all just hanging around. During they day they are aggressive and most are off doing what they do. if you do spray during the day they others will abandon the nest after it is sprayed. I guess they do not like the smell.

WD-40 will kill weeds and grass, at least it browns them up.

"Mudduabers" or Dirt Duabers as we call them down south do not sting the p*ss out of you like the wasps do.

lr27

Vinegar is very good for cleaning up epoxy that hasn't set yet.

I once pulled a dent with a flower pot and a vacuum cleaner. Some vacuum cleaners pull harder if you bleed in a little extra air instead of just stalling them.

I worked at a metal fabrication place that used a dishwasher as a degreaser. I can't remember which metals or whether they used regular dish powder. Maybe not a great idea if you're also using it for dishes.

3M Auto Body Strip Caulk is pretty good for sealing vacuum bags. Old hi starts make good vacuum hose. Glue two brass tubes in a beer bottle and you have a scrap separator or muffler for your vacuum pump. (I hate noise.)

If you have a grinder mounted on a small board, feet made from crosswise pieces of reinforced hose will stop it from jumping around. Make holes so that the screws only go through one side of the hose.

Suntan lotion works as waterless hand cleaner. Handy if you have to make unexpected repairs on your bike. Working in some cooking oil or hand lotion makes it easier to wash greasy dirt from your hands. Learned that from a friend who's a mechanic.

If you have something thin and round that you need to twist with a lot of torque, wrap a rope around it a bunch of times, tie on a bar, and push on the bar. Learned this from a guy named David Beach. Come to think of it, I seem to recall Herk Stokely column where he mentioned straightening out an F-14 somehow with a so-called Spanish Windlass. (there has to be a better name for that). Just rope and a stick.

Yellowhammer

While planting trees in northern Manitoba I ran out of bug dope... WD 40 worked better than any I have tried... I'll probably get cancer someday, but it was a good summer.

Try a product call Mellaluca Bug spray. My wife orders it for me. I got tired of using Off and my lips going numb and skin burning. The Mellaluca tree/plant has a plethora of uses.

When I apply it, it acts like a soapy simi-lather and dries quickly and works fine. I am the type of person that doesn't like event he first bug bite so it is apart of my standard ritual before I step outside and I live in Louisiana. The swampy posterior of world.

Half of the state is underwater and the other half is under indictment.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
BBQ charcoal lighter fluid helps cut baked and hardened cooking grease, so it may also work if oils and sludge get baked into engine parts. Maybe also in fuel tanks with dried residue.

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Polished out a deep scratch on top of the Canopy of the I-26 Sailplane with Colgate Tooth paste when I bought it. Also good for your auto headlight lens.

I not only clean the windshield and windows for my airplane with Lemon Pledge , but use it on all the surfaces. Also covers the Pizza smell in the cabin of the airplane after a local 8 mile flight to a grass field airport to pick up a Pizza delivery at the end of the runway.

Use Large 39 gal trash bags in a simple flat composite layup.

proppastie

Log Member
great zombie thread....Gas used outdoors for parts cleaning.....no smoking.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Lighter fluid to prime your Fox 35 engine for starting when you were flying a wing in U-control combat.

litespeed

WD-40 or any aerosol can, including bug spray is a standard Aussie protection kit for big hairy things that bite or fly and bite.

Add lighter, spray at nest and torch em quick before they get a chance to get revenge.
A can in the hot sun and well shaken gives the best distance.

Remember everything native in Australia is a deadly foe unless proven otherwise. No amount of bug spray without the flame will kill a nasty quick enough to make you safe.

Just do not start a bush fire or do it inside.

Hair spray is great and can also be used to lightly glue rubber grips to a handle bar or control stick. Even better, you can spray something flammable like wood and let dry, now its a fire lighter as the hair lacquer is flammable and a bit moisture resistant. As shown by Micheal Jackson's hair -Woof.

In the northern half of Australia we have a huge Cane toad problem- they are toxic invaders and devastate the native animals. And huge- So a new communal sport was developed with a golf club or cricket bat- always wear safety goggles.

Toad golf is not considered a cruelty issue to many, but a public service. Any place or time is fair go, even some childcare centres have a club or two out front for parents to use.

I think a scientific program of launching toads in high parabolic arcs has merit. In the secret bunkers of 3B -Bonkers Brothers Ballistica, a new class of crewed launch platform for ultra-suborbital missions is been developed. We expect a launch rate of 100 "crew" per day - dependent on cryogenic temperature and availability of the Beer.

Total budget was spent as per Boeing suggestions, on non engineering matters. But recycling the cans made enough to buy the PVC pipe, glue and joins.

litespeed

Oh and Vodka or Gin for the Coronavirus .

Instead of buying super expensive and hard to get alcohol hand cleaner. $10 for 50ml or your favourite gin or vodka at $50 for 700ml. Get a little bottle to carry and refill and rub on hands as needed, disinfect mouth as you feel inclined. 100% tried and tested safe and will improve mood in the chaos.

gtae07

Oh and Vodka or Gin for the Coronavirus .

Instead of buying super expensive and hard to get alcohol hand cleaner. $10 for 50ml or your favourite gin or vodka at $50 for 700ml. Get a little bottle to carry and refill and rub on hands as needed, disinfect mouth as you feel inclined. 100% tried and tested safe and will improve mood in the chaos.
Wow, you drink the good stuff!

robertl

Living in South Carolina most all of my 73 years I know how people react when a tornado, or just bad weather, such as a little snow is forcast. Being somewhat of a prepper, we don't worry about things like that. I was a Boy Scout for many years growing up and it taught me a lot, like their motto, "Be Prepared" ! We make a supply run a couple of times a year, we have enough paper products to last a minimum of 6 months, and can food last for years. Our freezer is packed with grass fed beef and deer meat and if that's not enough, there are plenty of squirrel and deer on our 10 acres and fish in the pond. We have gas cans full in case of an emergench and keep our vehicles topped off and my chain saws and generator are in good repair. We also keep medical supplies handys and we have plenty of ammo. This may sound over the top but it's not really, I would say as preppers go, we are on the low end of the sacle but we don't have to jump through our a$$ every time a weather report is bad. Also, we have driveway alarms and we keep out doors locked when we are in the house. **** thetorpedos, full steam ahead ! lol
Bob, I don't like suprises !

BJC

HBA Supporter
WD-40 or any aerosol can, including bug spray is a standard Aussie protection kit for big hairy things that bite or fly and bite.

Just do not start a bush fire or do it inside.
I can attest to the fact that it is entirely possible to start a fire, in an old, vacant house full of cobwebs, when using Right Guard to incinerate a spider.

BJC