Ultralights in Central and South America

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

pictsidhe

I may be losing my permanent resident status in a few months. Topaz does not want me saying why...

Does anyone know about ultralight and lsa type rules in central and south America? I'd like to find somewhere it's not too hard to do. I will still be able to visit here, should I come up with a business.

Michael Silvius

Miguel Scheinin in Argentina seems to be going real well with his FACIL design.
A 1024 tube and fabric creation loosely resembling a Rans S6.
All locally sourced materials. Agricultural irrigation pipe for wing spars with Styrofoam ribs.
Typically running Fiat or Renault engines with a redrive. Must be a couple dozen flying by now.
tons of photos here

17.jpg

38.jpg47.jpg

TFF

From just reading posts around here, it sounds like EASA type rules with the occasional loophole because not in Europe.

Sorry for the issues.

Derswede

Uruguay has a decent setup for ultralights. Been researching retiring down there someday. Decent economy, good healthcare, stable (for South America) gov't, and little of the drama of Argentina. And did I mention the steaks? And GREAT wines....... Also, last time I looked, if you were moving down as a permanent resident, you did not pay taxes on your personal possessions. You will have to check bringing any registered vehicles into the country, including aircraft.

BigBen

I may be losing my permanent resident status in a few months. Topaz does not want me saying why...

Does anyone know about ultralight and lsa type rules in central and south America? I'd like to find somewhere it's not too hard to do. I will still be able to visit here, should I come up with a business.
My previous research ( about 2 years ago) showed that the homebuilt rules in Belize were about the most simple and free of anywhere I looked at.

pictsidhe

Miguel Scheinin in Argentina seems to be going real well with his FACIL design.
A 1024 tube and fabric creation loosely resembling a Rans S6.
All locally sourced materials. Agricultural irrigation pipe for wing spars with Styrofoam ribs.
Typically running Fiat or Renault engines with a redrive. Must be a couple dozen flying by now.
tons of photos here

View attachment 100998

View attachment 100996View attachment 100997
As a Brit, I may not be very welcome in Argentina.

Derswede

Quite a few Brits in both Argentina and Uruguay. I was in BA during the Falklands " situation." Had no problems. Of course, I was living there just after that, and saw no long term difficulties. If an Argentine has a problem with you, just have more wine.

Had more difficulties in Venezuela than Argentina. If I moved back down, Chile, Argentina or Uruguay are my personal preferences. Good beer in Argentina as well, Quilmes. A Brit started it, so must be pretty good...😏

TFF

With the present, Venezuela is bad. I know someone who has duel citizenship there and US and his wife has duel there and Spain. If they leave the country together, the gov holds their children’s passports. Sabotaged their aircraft. Gas is cheap though.

pictsidhe

There a few countries down there that are just a bit too 'hot' to consider. Venezuela, El Salvador. Many have cooled down somewhat compared to a few decades ago.
I like that they speak English in Belize, languages are not my strong point.

AdrianS

Good luck, whatever happens.

Michael Silvius

With the present, Venezuela is bad. I know someone who has duel citizenship there and US and his wife has duel there and Spain. If they leave the country together, the gov holds their children’s passports. Sabotaged their aircraft. Gas is cheap though.
I was born in Venezuela and spent the first 18 yrs of my life there. I do remain in contact with a couple folks there and the situation is untenable. Even as a native fluent in the language and ways I would never consider returning. And though a person with an outside source of dollars could live rather cheaply there, it is simply far too dangerous. They are not all that friendly to general aviation anyhow.

Derswede

Michael, I totally agree with you. Was in my first riot in Venezuela, the Caracazo. The government is so corrupt, it is a Rodney Dangerfield joke. "It is SOOO corrupt!!" "How corrupt is it?" "You have to bribe someone to get toilet paper!"

Worked with PDVSA as a supplier for years. Billions disappeared from that company. During that riot, I saw my first airplane explosion. Word was that some general was fleeing the country, the Lear he was in got blown up on the runway. I had just arrived, was about half a mile from the downtown airport when the bird went up. Spent the week in the EuroBuilding hotel, my distributor had handed me a box and said, I will call you when we can get you a flight out. The box contained an old .45 Colt and two boxes of ammo. A week later, got a flight out with a group of oilwell service company people. Halliburton had what looked like a private army protecting their plane, they got out about the same time. I did not breath until we were over the Caribbean.

The other countries are OK, the ones mentioned earlier. Several of the islands are good as well, just lots more $$ needed. How about Cuba? (Haha).

Side note, if yu ever see a bottle of Pampero "Ron Aniversario", grab it. An excellent aged Rum from Venezuela. Not cheap, but great taste. For sipping, not mixing.

Derswede

Michael Silvius

Michael, I totally agree with you. Was in my first riot in Venezuela, the Caracazo. The government is so corrupt, it is a Rodney Dangerfield joke. "It is SOOO corrupt!!" "How corrupt is it?" "You have to bribe someone to get toilet paper!"

Worked with PDVSA as a supplier for years. Billions disappeared from that company. During that riot, I saw my first airplane explosion. Word was that some general was fleeing the country, the Lear he was in got blown up on the runway. I had just arrived, was about half a mile from the downtown airport when the bird went up. Spent the week in the EuroBuilding hotel, my distributor had handed me a box and said, I will call you when we can get you a flight out. The box contained an old .45 Colt and two boxes of ammo. A week later, got a flight out with a group of oilwell service company people. Halliburton had what looked like a private army protecting their plane, they got out about the same time. I did not breath until we were over the Caribbean.

The other countries are OK, the ones mentioned earlier. Several of the islands are good as well, just lots more $$ needed. How about Cuba? (Haha).

Side note, if yu ever see a bottle of Pampero "Ron Aniversario", grab it. An excellent aged Rum from Venezuela. Not cheap, but great taste. For sipping, not mixing.

Derswede
Dad worked for Creole, Esso, Exxon, Lagoven from about the mid 50s on. Made his way up from rough neck on the oil derricks on Lake Maracaibo to become head of HR for the company in the early 70s. He structured the company during its most successful times. Dad got tired of fighting the corruption and nepotism and saw the writing on the wall, so we got out in 79-80 before it all spiraled out of control with Chavez. Never been back. Though I do follow the scene closely. As much as I'd like to go back to visit the place where I grew up, I just dont see it ever improving during my lifetime. After 40 yrs here I have become too much of a soft gringo, and though I am fluent in the language and ways, I simply would stand out way too easily as an easy target. It's just not worth the risk.

Derswede

I may have met him a few times. Spent lots of time with the guys from all the Gov't majors, but Lagoven bought a lot from me. Buyer's name was Julio Plata if I remember correctly. To put this back on an aviation heading, he andd I both were trying to snag a Bucker Jungmeister that had been imported from Chile and which showed up in Venezuela. Never heard what happened to it. It was cheap, the importer went broke for some reason. Strange things happen down there on occasion!

Derswede

Derswede

TFF, the Chilean Air Force used to use them as trainers. Several weekends I went wandering up and down the coast of Chile when I could sneak away from work ( pre-cellphone and laptop days). One afternoon I happened to be close to an Airforce base when I saw a pair of biplanes on final for the runway. As I can't pass an airport, I stopped and watched thru the fence until the guardsmen got curious enough to come over and demand ID. Got a bit of a tour of the base from a captain, they were also rebuilding a Kingfisher! Did not get a chance to snoop around, but did get a chance to see that they had about 20 Buckers there. Encountered several older birds in South America, was waiting to land in Paraguay, we were circling the field, a private field was under our flight path, was looking down and saw a guy taxiing out a Vultee Vibrator (BT-13). Never did see it again, and no one knew who it was. Probably some guy that did not want unannounced visitors!!

TFF

I have heard similar stories from friends, but not Buckers and a Kingfisher. Supposedly there are some Cessna Helicopters somewhere down there.