• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ultralight swivel tailwheel for ultralights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anybody seen, or does anybody make, a detented full swivel tailwheel suitable for ultralights?

The tailwheel on my Kolb Ultrastar is steerable, of course, and I have differential brakes, but the field I fly from requires some tight maneuvering on the ground. I can generally accomplish this with the help of the brakes, but that puts a lot of side load on the tail (especially with the tailwheel is mounted way down low on the sub fin). I really miss the swivel tailwheel I had on my T-Craft where it would steer until you pushed it hard enough, then it'd pop out of the detent and swivel all around. Of course that one would be way too heavy for my Ultrastar. Perhaps I need to design one myself, I know I can, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel (no pun intended).

-Dana

If you don't grow up by age 35, you don't have to.

Back