• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ultralight Near Airport?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undean

I have the opportunity to purchase a property near an airport that MIGHT support a runway that could accommodate small ultralights and STOL-ish aircraft. It also has some elevation and receives very good/stable breeze that could likely support hang gliding as well.

Given "decent" property is difficult to find anymore I would rather not pass up the opportunity if the possibility to use it exists.

The possible problem with the property is that it is slightly inside the magenta hazy ring of an untowered airport. My current understanding is that this eliminates the possibility to fly an ultralight or hang glider from the ground, even if one stays under 700' AGL as per Part 103.17 "no person may operate an ultralight vehicle within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport (having ATC) unless that person has permission."

Not being as seasoned as others, is this accurate? I understand that airports tend to dislike ultralights and may be remiss in giving permission and while the airport is not towered there will still be some ATC that controls it.

Picture of a similar setup to the one I'm speaking about. Green dot in upper right representative of how the property is situated.
Scottsboro-VFR.png

Back