Quantcast

Ultralight Near Airport?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

undean

I have the opportunity to purchase a property near an airport that MIGHT support a runway that could accommodate small ultralights and STOL-ish aircraft. It also has some elevation and receives very good/stable breeze that could likely support hang gliding as well.

Given "decent" property is difficult to find anymore I would rather not pass up the opportunity if the possibility to use it exists.

The possible problem with the property is that it is slightly inside the magenta hazy ring of an untowered airport. My current understanding is that this eliminates the possibility to fly an ultralight or hang glider from the ground, even if one stays under 700' AGL as per Part 103.17 "no person may operate an ultralight vehicle within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport (having ATC) unless that person has permission."

Not being as seasoned as others, is this accurate? I understand that airports tend to dislike ultralights and may be remiss in giving permission and while the airport is not towered there will still be some ATC that controls it.

Picture of a similar setup to the one I'm speaking about. Green dot in upper right representative of how the property is situated.
Scottsboro-VFR.png

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
No problem, the hazy magenta ring isn't "Class E airspace designated for an airport". That would be designated by a magenta dotted line.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I have the opportunity to purchase a property near an airport that MIGHT support a runway that could accommodate small ultralights and STOL-ish aircraft. It also has some elevation and receives very good/stable breeze that could likely support hang gliding as well.

Given "decent" property is difficult to find anymore I would rather not pass up the opportunity if the possibility to use it exists.

The possible problem with the property is that it is slightly inside the magenta hazy ring of an untowered airport. My current understanding is that this eliminates the possibility to fly an ultralight or hang glider from the ground, even if one stays under 700' AGL as per Part 103.17 "no person may operate an ultralight vehicle within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport (having ATC) unless that person has permission."

Not being as seasoned as others, is this accurate? I understand that airports tend to dislike ultralights and may be remiss in giving permission and while the airport is not towered there will still be some ATC that controls it.

Picture of a similar setup to the one I'm speaking about. Green dot in upper right representative of how the property is situated.
View attachment 101244
The class E airspace depicted here starts at 700 AGL up to 18,000 MSL. It's class G from the surface to 700 AGL, there is no "surface area of Class E airspace" on this chart example. As Dana said, if there were a dashed magenta line, it would indicate Class E to the surface and ultralights would not be allowed without permission in that case. But on the chart posted, ultralights are allowed everywhere up to 17,999 MSL, including in the Class E airspace shown - as it is not a surface area Class E, ultralights are allowed within the lateral boundaries.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
You should check with local non FAA officials though. There could be local ordinances that would creat problems. Not to likely though. What is the local zoning?

Good idea to talk to neighbors also.

undean

Thank you all for the responses and clarifications.

Currently the property is unzoned and my brief search of local ordinance has revealed nothing related to aircraft except related to dropping litter or unreasonable noise emission.

If I do end up with it there will be a great deal of work clearing trees for a runway but first things first. Thanks again!