Quantcast

Ultralight markings

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
An ultralight can always be registered as an experimental, amateur-built if it meets the usual criteria for doing so, there is no lower limit on weight or horsepower or speed. A good example would be the Stits SA-8 Skeeto (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stits_SA-8_Skeeto), first flown in 1957 long before Part 103 was even a glint in the FAA's eye. It fits well within the modern Part 103 definition but it was N-numbered then and could just as easily be N-numbered today.

12638L.jpg

Another point....,Is there any reason why you can't register an ultralight as an LSA? In which case you would need a valid N number.

FritzW

Log Member
Like a license plate on your car. You can get in trouble for putting someone elses, or a fake, plate on your car.
You can't put the incorrect CAR license plate on a CAR because cars and car license plates are regulated by state laws that say you can't do that. But you can put any license plate you want on your lawn mower because lawn mowers aren't regulated by state law (at least in my state).

...if there's no law against it, it's not against the law (it might be stupid, but it's not against the law).

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
You can put big race numbers on the side of any aircraft.
The rules for "required" registration numbers is FAR 45.
Ultralights however, are not "aircraft".

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registration is not required for part 103, but there is nothing to prevent you from registering an ultralight as EAB-LSA!
There is no such thing as EAB-LSA registration. While it may be LSA compliant as far as allowing it to be flown by a sport pilot, the registration is simply EAB.

But yes, there is no reason you can't register an ultralight as EAB provided you can provide the "amateur built" documentation.

pictsidhe

Dagnamit. I ask a fairly simple question and you guys snatch the ball and are still running with it.

Is silly season still running?

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA

pictsidhe

There is a season!? I thought it went on in perpetuity............ I learn something every day.
Silly season is when the UK houses of parliament go on holiday.
Since the daily political bun fight stops, the news is somewhat lacking for stories, so silly stories are needed to fill the void.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Silly season is when the UK houses of parliament go on holiday.
Since the daily political bun fight stops, the news is somewhat lacking for stories, so silly stories are needed to fill the void.
So it's just a UK thing. ;) The media here operates in that mode 365. But I'm sure you noticed............

When I was on the road a lot one of the perks was getting to watch BBC news on the motel cable. Even now BBC America, while parroting the 'top' stories of the American media, does still offer news from other parts of the world that we would otherwise never hear.

pictsidhe

So it's just a UK thing. ;) The media here operates in that mode 365. But I'm sure you noticed............

When I was on the road a lot one of the perks was getting to watch BBC news on the motel cable. Even now BBC America, while parroting the 'top' stories of the American media, does still offer news from other parts of the world that we would otherwise never hear.
I don't follow the media much.
But I will say, if you want to find out what is going on in the world, you need a varied diet. That doesn't mean Fox and CNN. That means Fox, CNN, BBC, RT and Al Jazeera. There's a Chinese english language one too, but I forget its name.

When they all tell the same story. It's probably true. You may be surprised how often they don't. How they differ often tells a story, too.

N7WWK

Just don’t put an N number on it.

BJC
My Ham Radio callsign is N7WWK its on both my cars on my boat, my hat, no person other than my can use that letter number combinition is it off limits on my ultraligh?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Ham Radio callsign is N7WWK its on both my cars on my boat, my hat, no person other than my can use that letter number combinition is it off limits on my ultraligh?
Why not? With 3 trailing letters it can't be mistaken for an N-number. But sometimes it's better to not be personally identifiable...

Aerowerx

Not necessarily so.

FCC issued callsigns are completely separate from FAA issued N numbers. My callsign is N8EE. If you look it up in the FAA database you will see that it is already assigned.

I would be hesitant to put it on an aircraft, if I was you. Some FAA inspector might be having a bad day and right it up as an illegal registration number.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I think you have to have the narrative of AC Part 103 in its entirety on the fuselage in two inch letters. 🤪

Last edited: