Quantcast

Ultralight markings

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

I know that 103 s need no markings at all. But what markings can they have? Should I build a 103 warbird, how many markings can I use without getting into trouble?

Roundels and squadron markings I suspect will be ok. But what about the serial number?

Tiger Tim

I would think the only reason you couldn’t put an N number on would be so that the wrong person doesn’t get in trouble when your buzz job gets phoned in.

TFF

Remember one thing, paint is weight. It adds up fast. A full paint job can add 10-30 pounds on a small airframe.

TrikeTrash

I have 2" tall letters that spells out "ULTRALIGHT" on my main mast (I have a trike), on my instrument pod I have 1" letters spelling out "254 LBS", on my gas tank I have the numeral 5. Heres why - I figure if I crash or land somewhere I shouldn't, the first person on the scene is going to be local law enforcement. They will undoubtedly call the FAA and describe the trike as an ultralight, 254lbs and 5 gallons of gas, plenty of info for the FAA guy to say, "it's not my problem."

An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure...

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I heard of one guy who put "NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC" on his plane. He wasn't affiliated with National Geographic, he just figured that most people like NG and if they saw a low flying plane they'd figure it was on a photo mission for a good cause and not freak out and call 911.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I know that 103 s need no markings at all. But what markings can they have? Should I build a 103 warbird, how many markings can I use without getting into trouble?

Roundels and squadron markings I suspect will be ok. But what about the serial number?
No problem. I you register with an UL organization they will assign an Ultralight identification number.

TrikeTrash said "I figure if I crash or land somewhere" I think the correct wording would be "when" not "if".

blane.c

HBA Supporter
No problem. I you register with an UL organization they will assign an Ultralight identification number.

TrikeTrash said "I figure if I crash or land somewhere" I think the correct wording would be "when" not "if".
Cold.

FritzW

Log Member
If you can paint an N number on your car or your bass boat, you can paint it on an ultralight. ...but you'd be asking for a whole lot of unwanted attention.

pictsidhe

If you can paint an N number on your car or your bass boat, you can paint it on an ultralight. ...but you'd be asking for a whole lot of unwanted attention.
That is what i thought. But most, if not all, historical Hurricane serials didn't star with an N

FritzW

Log Member
After a quick look through AC 103-7:

Unless your part 103 ultralight vehicle is going to be "certificated and operated as an aircraft" or be "used exclusively in the service of a Federal, state, or local government without an airworthiness certificate." you don't have ANY marking requirements or restrictions.

Aerowerx

I would think the only reason you couldn’t put an N number on would be so that the wrong person doesn’t get in trouble when your buzz job gets phoned in.
I would think it is more than that.

Like a license plate on your car. You can get in trouble for putting someone elses, or a fake, plate on your car. The N number on an airplane is the same as a license plate on a car.

Another point....,Is there any reason why you can't register an ultralight as an LSA? In which case you would need a valid N number.