Ultralight for sale... Cheap.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

JamesG

You should not use a can opener to build your airplane.

Do you think the seller meant 50 feet of flying time instead of 50 hours?

But he has a 100% feedback rating, so what could go wrong?

JamesG

Gives me an idea though. You could build a Hummel Bird like this, or whatever, and make it structurally perfect and airworthy but make the outside finish like... like... like... this thing (needs more pallet wood and some beer can AL with the labels showing thought), just to raise the blood pressure of the local EAA hanger snobs. :roll:

thump

Call now and receive an affordaplane with purchase at no extra charge;)...BTW the cable across the wings is there so you can hang it from a light pole for in flight photos and the wings only fold on take off.

Last edited:

BJC

Supporting Member
Gives me an idea though. You could build a Hummel Bird like this, or whatever, and make it structurally perfect and airworthy but make the outside finish like... like... like... this thing (needs more pallet wood and some beer can AL with the labels showing thought), just to raise the blood pressure of the local EAA hanger snobs. :roll:

Anyone else remember the "Gold Bug?" I was a one-of-a-kind, triangular cross-section fuselage, VW, wire-braced, high wing, something akin to an Aeronce C-3, built by Merle Replogle.

He flew it to the annual EAA Convention, either Rockford or Oshkosh, from Arizona, I think. The first thing that he did, with a cleaning rag in one hand and a spray can of gold colored paint, was touch-up the paint job. There were lots of "he should be banned" comments. I was amazed that he had successfully flown it that far.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
Anyone else remember the "Gold Bug?" I was a one-of-a-kind, triangular cross-section fuselage, VW, wire-braced, high wing, something akin to an Aeronce C-3, built by Merle Replogle.

He flew it to the annual EAA Convention, either Rockford or Oshkosh, from Arizona, I think. The first thing that he did, with a cleaning rag in one hand and a spray can of gold colored paint, was touch-up the paint job. There were lots of "he should be banned" comments. I was amazed that he had successfully flown it that far.

Paint (or lack of) has nothing to do with airworthiness*. In fact, any first of its kind prototypes should never be perfect cosmetically. The designers attention should be focused on airworthiness not cosmetics. Burt Rutans Quickie was cosmetically imperfect, especcially the bottom. But it still made the cover of Sport Aviation. Kit builders can focus on cosmetics.
Was the Gold Bug airworthy?

* some exceptions, control surface balance, surface roughness, etc.

Aerowerx

Is that real, or a scam?

Look closely at the airfoil profile. I don't see how the thing could get off the ground.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
When I first saw it I knew it reminded me of something, but until this morning I couldn't really nail down what the thought and mental picture was, but now I have it....."Dr. Seuss/Caricature"

I will say it would be almost impossible to duplicate though....like an accomplished musician purposely playing badly.

Lynn