Ultralight Biplanes

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
A biplane layout can provide a very light structure and/or more wing area in a given wing span. It does add drag but that is less of a problem for Part 103 ultralights in the USA since they are limited to a modest maximum speed in any case. Here’s Bloop, one of the designs mentioned in the first post in this thread:

Ok. Why ultralight biplane is good ?

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Raceair Zipster. Ed fisher design, rights held by an unscrupulous person and now defunct. There are plans out there....
View attachment 97520
If your looking for a true Part 103 UL, Either the Zipster above or the Micro Mong would be hard pressed to beat. The Zipster is somewhat lost to the world with the demise of Hart Aero but as BillyVray said, plans are out there. If you settle on this design PM me and I can give you your first breadcrumb to find them. The Micro Mong is also recently lost as well with the shut down of greensky adventures. I reached out to the Son trying to keep the Micro Mong available but despite multiple attempts no luck. I own the rights to the Skylite and Lil Bitts and all 4 aircraft mentioned were designed by Ed Fischer. I sell plans for the Lil Bitts which is a biplane but its far from Part 103. I currently own the prototype but its currently disassembled waiting for a DP1 engine. Plans can be found here: www.cloudbaseaviation.com

If you do decide on the zipster, while I cant sell plans, I can support the design as it uses many common parts between the skylite and I plan to start offering short kit items that could also be used on the Zipster. Lately this endeavor has been on hold due to a new baby, becoming self employed and also a busy work project, but the work project is looking to slow down a bit and I hope to get back to working on airplane stuff in the next 2 months.

PTAirco

And then there is the miniature single seat Gypsy Moth type sitting on my drawing board which may never get built because it would be such a delicate and expensive thing... But sooo nice!

flitzerpilot

Taylor.S,

If the Powell Racer, Lincoln and Gere Sport types are under consideration, then a basic Flitzer Z-21 fits into this category. The Z-1 prototype, which first flew in 1995, weighs 479 lbs tare and the VW motor represents more than 165 lbs of that figure. The smaller Flitzer Goblin will meet the SSDR requirements with a Verner 3V radial, although the bigger 60 hp. 5V would provide a scintillating performance, capable of all inside aerobatic manoeuvres with ease, as demonstrated in X-Plane Sim. The wing area of 88'sq. and span of 16'10" makes it one if the smallest practical sport biplanes of classical timber and fabric construction. While a slight wing area increase might be required to guarantee SSDR compliance on stalling speed for SSDR, basically it meets the requirements and could hardly be simpler.

Two are currently under construction, in Canada and the USA, the builders being in constant communication with their build progress and their enthusiasm for the type is boundless. Meanwhile the bigger Verner radials are the motors of choice for future Flitzer development types, including the Laird LC-1W, Stormcock, Sparrowhawk and a version of the 4-aileron Stummelflitzer, Z-1SV (Verner). The Rotec R2800-powered two seat Z-2 Schwalbe is now cleared by the LAA for fabric-covering (Oratex) and has been certified as a fully-aerobatic type up to an AUW of 1300 lbs. although it's final weight should be less than that.

The appeal of any biplane, ultralight or not, is self-evident to many and may never be understood by some. In practical terms its relatively small size for a given wingspan and smaller component sizes have obvious advantages for building and storage, while viewing the tilted horizon framed by wings and wires has a timeless appeal.

I attach a photograph of the prototype Z-1 and an image of a Flitzer Goblin fitted with a Verner 3V for reference.

*Verner 3V weighs about 85 lbs and the 5V about 118 lbs, significantly less than a typical VW installation.

Attachments

Victor Bravo

We'll need to clarify this discussion so we know whether we're talking about SSDR, Part 103, Microlight, etc. etc.

I'm utterly heartbroken that the Goblin has already been designated for Ernst Kessler. I wanted to create part of the Flitzer lore by discussing the one built in secret by Prof. Fate (after that tragic incident with the Curtiss Pusher and the barn ) :cool:

Taylor.S

i apologize for not clarifying i was talking about a part 103 aircraft.

Taylor.S

do you think you could take a sky pup and shorten the fuselage to 12ft then oversize the tail surfaces