• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ultracruiser Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UC Dave

I am starting on a Ultracruiser. I ordered a raw material kit, canopy and templates from Hummel Aviation. Not a whole bunch of plane building but I have finished on most of tool gathering and prep. The bulkhead forms are from a Ultracruiser builder who lives somewhat close to me, his name is Dennis Brooks. If you Google him you will find plenty of pictures and video of his plane. He is turning out to be a good friend. The only thing I have to show now is some of that prep.

I made templates, from poster board, for the bulkheads they do not come in the template kit from Hummel.

I have also built the table and the beam for construction.

I intend to use a Subaru Robin/Generac Eh99 with some modification for the engine. I have a new one in the basement and I also have higher compression pistons and a gasket kit for it. I will be porting the heads also. The carb I will be using will be a Zenith. The prop is ordered a 54X28 from Tennessee Propeller. This will be a direct drive engine from the PTO side. I am a mechanic and this is a strong area for me to work with.
The brakes will be built from stuff I bought from electricscooters.com
Wheels are simple Azusa three spoke 6 inch

Back