Ul insterment makers

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
James Wiebe at Belite makes (retails) some (nice) lightweight electronic stuff.
Post revised and edited above by an unidentified outlaw. They are produced in South Africa. When America is Great Again they will be made in China or in the US by a Chinese company.:mad2:

I don't know what :mad2: is supposed to imply but you can define your own meaning. :mad2::gig::whistle::shock:

Victor Bravo

Nobody makes "insterments" for ultralights. Several companies do make instruments, if that is what you are looking for.

The reality these days is that iPhone and Dndroid cell phones can probably do everything you need, with some little lightweight pressure sensors plugged in to the USB port.

lr27

Yes and no.. all GPS based and I really don't trust GPS for my altitude.
VB's post discussed pressure sensors plugged into the USB port. The right sort of pressure sensor could be used as an altimeter. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already come up with an App. I'm sure you can get some kind of magnetic sensor, too. And I know there are tiny sensors that can function as gyros. Cheap! Heck, you could probably put in an artificial horizon. Hmm... looks like someone's already done that and some phones apparently have the gyro already.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bbflight.flightinstruments&hl=en_US
Sounds like there are still a few bugs in this particular program, though.

Personally, I'd prefer something that wasn't going to prioritize a call over instrument functions. They make light stuff for hang gliders, don't they? Come to think of it, my cell phone DOES have "airplane mode". Maybe that's what it's for. ;-)

BJC

HBA Supporter
i need some kinda tacometer, altimeter, compass and id like a turn indicator.
Your option to build and equip it as you like, but why add unnecessary weight, cost and complexity to an ultralight?

I would use a clip-on Hall airspeed indicator, and nothing else except a smart phone (with a lanyard.)

BJC

robertl

Gauges, we don't need no stinking gauges !!! My Nomad Honcho had a CHT gauge but I never looked at it. Of course that was 28 years ago, I would do better these days !
Bob

lr27

Anyone remember the old VIbra Tac tachometer? You can have a bunch of wires of gradually increasing length, one for every 100 rpm or so. Even I'm not sure if I'm joking.

I wonder if they make those adhesive strip thermometers in a high enough range to do CHT and exhaust pipe temp, which could be calibrated with an EGT sensor on the ground. I know they're made up to at least 100 degrees C. This assumes you can see the engine, of course.