Quantcast

UL Engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Grelly

I am a little worried by ULPower. They announced that they had a set six cylinder engines available some time ago, but still haven't updated their website to include them. Perhaps it's just me, but I can't take a company seriously unless they keep their website current.

Grelly

Link for 6 cylinder engines

ULPower

Ken
Yes, you can find it on their "News" page, but they haven't updated the home page (which describes the 4 cylinder range), nor are they described on the "Engines" tab. The press release was back in March. Surely you would update at least the home page to reflect the new range.

Himat

Mm, I have my reservations. They have made several modifications without publishing them in a service bulletin. Their motor management system is old fashion without a lambda sensor, well tell me how your can optimize the fuel.....you can't so the engine is constantly running in backup mode or what even you call it, it's the mapping that is valid above 75% power setting. Please be careful with your money....unless you have lots of it ;-)
No lambda sensor?
A general note on fuel injection systems, a lamda sensor can be used to improve fuel metering but is one of several possible sensors. With carburettors and manual leaneing the pilot look at the EGT dial, an injection system could monitor the EGT too.

skeeter_ca

Lambda or O2 sensor as they are commonly called in the US cannot retain any accuracy when using leaded fuel. It will slowly degrade the performance of the sensor to where it is non functioning. Therefore as long as av-gas has lead in it, which they are working on having it removed, you probably won't see O2 sensors in much use on airplanes. Some people are using them on conversions but then they have to use auto fuel only to fuel. That can be a very limiting factor for an airplane as auto fuel is getting harder and harder to get at airports. To build one for the masses, if there is such a thing in aviation engines, it would have to be built without an O2 sensor. Manual leaning with a lever or dial, for peak hp and economy, is usually done quite simply as with all other certified aircraft engines. Most of the systems use a MAP sensor and TPS sensor to calculate the mapping. You could do without a mixture adjustment but it would not be optimal.

skeeter

X3 skier

I was at the Zenith Rudder workshop last week building a CH650 Rudder and took a Demo flight in their CH650 which has a UL350 engine, IIRC. Seemed very smooth. I was definitely intrigued by the Fuel Injection and FADEC approach to make my life simpler while flying.

You might contact Zenith for some impressions but committing to use it in their "flagship" looks like a good recommendation to me. I also met the GM for the UL USA distributor there and of course he was positive.:gig:

Cheers

I have been flying in Belgium with the engine and it is a very smooth engine. Performance was oke, not impressive compared to Rotax, but interesting compared to Jabiru. I was very impressed also because the structure of the company, everybody is partly owner of the company. But it's a young company and they do not take things alway serious. They changed the bolds of the starter engine (they were to short) but you will not see a sb on there website.

I' sure this can become a very good engine, but I would wait for a few years.