UHMW Tape

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TXFlyGuy

My painter suggested using this UHMW tape on my gear doors, and flaps, to prevent "scuffing" the paint in this area.

Has anyone here used this? Is there a particular brand that is better?

Thanks!

Bill-Higdon

Kyle Boatright

The clear film they use on the front of cars is much better. UHMW tape yellows and delaminates over time and is a bear to remove.

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I've used it for drawer slides. Very effective for that. Think I picked mine up at Rockler. Flaps and gear doors sound like a great application for it.

TXFlyGuy

But is that for friction reduction or just for surface protection?
Found 3M PPF (Paint Protection Film). Looks like good stuff, protecting against all kinds of road hazards, such as gravel and rocks / sand. At least one RV owner has it on his plane with great results.

bifft

UHMW tape is what Van's used to supply to protect the tops of the flaps from scraping on the top wing skins. Using stainless steel tape these days.

Victor Bravo

When I flew sailplanes in prehistoric cro-magnon times a company back east (Ridge Soaring / Knauff & Grove in PA) sold self-adhesive Teflon tape. It would make a very good "rub strip" for cowling and baffle strips, RV upper flap skins, etc. Today I would be looking for it at www.wingsandwheels.com which is here in CA. They have all the cool s**t for sealing gaps, control surface fairings, turbulators, etc.

https://wingsandwheels.com/ptfe-teflon-tape.html

Kyle Boatright

But is that for friction reduction or just for surface protection?
Both. I have it on the contact surfaces where the flaps rub on the RV’s wing skins. Before that I had UHMW. The 3M film looks better (even after years of use) and seems to hold up as well or better.

Group Builder