uAvionix tailBeaconX

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
This is still too expensive but it's certainly a huge step in the right direction in terms of simplicity of installation: GPS, ADS-B, Mode S, antennas all in one. It would be nice to see a simple, dedicated, very small control head for small panels.
tailBeaconX_Catalog.png

https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeaconx/

pwood66889

Absolutely overpriced if one does not need entry into the ADS-B Out airspace.
Not badly priced if one has to go from no transponder up to ADS-B compliant.
$2500 US, plus installation, which doesn't sound like that much. My Type Club had good luck with their units.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Yes, I was suggesting that it's still expensive but an interesting option if you need to add a transponder and ADS-B to a plane that has neither, not for folks that already have an acceptable transponder.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely overpriced if one does not need entry into the ADS-B Out airspace.
Not badly priced if one has to go from no transponder up to ADS-B compliant.
$2500 US, plus installation, which doesn't sound like that much. My Type Club had good luck with their units.

$3194 with the required control head.

So with this and the 2" instrument display wonder if I could get away with flying my Zigolo at KWHP. Its right on the edge of the Mode C area and rural enough I might be OK to fly Part 103 out of... Would make controllers pissed a 40mph airplane in the pattern with 150 mph airplanes...

pfarber

The head unit, to change the transponder code is a finger dance that is way to difficult. Unless they can improve the xponder code entry part hard pass.

huVVer

This is still too expensive but it's certainly a huge step in the right direction in terms of simplicity of installation: GPS, ADS-B, Mode S, antennas all in one. It would be nice to see a simple, dedicated, very small control head for small panels.
tailBeaconX_Catalog.png

tailBeaconX - uAvionix

Here is a solution for the expensive control head:

IMG_2235.JPEG

This is a huVVer-AVI device from MakerPlane (designed and supported by me), with custom transponder control software that is currently (May 2022) in Beta trials. This photo shows the live status (the XP column) from a certified tailBeaconX installed in my aircraft.

The software will be made available as an OTA (Over-The-Air) download. It takes altitude information from an Altitude Encoder or EFIS, adds in the required control information, and controls the tailBeaconX.

The introductory price at MakerPlane for the huVVer-AVI is $199, but once the inventory is depleted, I expect this to go up.

I will make postings here and on huVVer.tech when the production software is available.

Cheers, Vern

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing to consider if it matters to you, the Tailbeacon X doesn't support anonymous mode.

Spellcheck kept correcting that to "anonymous nude"... :D

huVVer

Production software TBX App is now available for the huVVer-AVI. This converts a stock huVVer-AVI into a tailBeaconX control head. The App and documentation is available here: www.huvver.tech/huvver-avi-tbx-app/

The huVVer-AVI device is available from MakerPlane. Currently it is preloaded with Flight Instrument software, but I am working with MakerPlane to introduce a TBX version. Otherwise, you just need to download the App and install it using OTA (Over-The-Air) updating.

This is, by a long shot, the lowest cost way of controlling a tailBeaconX, unless your EFIS already supports it. To drive it, you need a serial altitude source from an EFIS, altitude encoder or encoding altimeter. It has been flight tested with Dynon D10A and SkyView systems, but most EFISs will drive it. It was developed with the technical support of uAvionix, who provides the integration documents to developers.

The download is free, but eventually you will need an unlock key to enable all of the features necessary for flight (or biannual transponder checks). The price for the unlock key has not been set, but it will be very reasonable. I am even thinking of making it 'by donation'. I would appreciate feedback on what everyone thinks would be a fair price for the App, bearing in mind the huVVer-AVI is only $199 (while the sale lasts).

Cheers,
Vern

Updated photos....

IMG_2325-1.JPEG

IMG_2323.JPEG

huVVer

The TBX App has been production released. I have rethought the 'by donation' plan, and now the huVVer-AVI-TBX can be ordered from MakerPlane for $299 with the App installed. No downloading or unlock code required!

Also, the price of semiconductors has risen almost 10X, if you can get them. I redesigned the main circuit board to use available components and to reduce cost, but there is only so much than can be done.

I have had a flood of inquiries on this device, including requests to certify it. Since I don't get paid for my time and expenses, this is highly unlikely!

Vern