• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Type 4 VW engine pros/cons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoSo914

I have been around VW's and airplanes alike but I have not really looked into the use of a VW engine in an airplane until now. After lurking in these forums a bit. It seems to me that a type-4 VW engine(those provided by the 411, later buses and porsche 914's) is much better suited to an aviation application than the type-1. Has anyone tried this out?
In stock form the 2.0(1971cc) Type-4 put out 80 to 100HP@4500-4900rpm and over 100 FT/LBS@3000. Looking at the constuction the Type-4 was MUCH beefier. This engine was designed to push around the relativley heavy Bus and 411 models. The stock oil cooler is almost double the size of its type1 counterpart, and located horizontal similar to lycoming or continental. All of this, while being only 25 lbs heavier in longblock form. Also Keep in mind these are stock figures. The after market type-4 industry has grown substantially in the last few years, retaining a remarkable level of quality compaired with the type1. Somthing that cannot be overlooked by the aviation community. Things like Nikasil cylinders, ceramic coatings, and dual ignition offered to the porsche crowd have made there way into the type-4 motor. Type-4's are reasonalbly available and around the same price for a long block as a type-1. So what am I overlooking? Why is this not a more popular conversion? Or is it and I am just not seeing it?
Regards, Derek

Back