Two seat tandem: Asso X Jewel, suggestions?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dun

Hello,

I recently joined HBA and for the last few weeks I am in the process of preparing the workshop, gathering some tools, and researching information to decide on a type which has available plans to start the build.

The criteria I have are these:

Low wing monplane
Two seat tandem
Tricycle gear retractable
Range +600 NM
Vs -45KT
Vcruise +130KT
Vno +130KT
Vne +150KT
Loads +5g/-2g
Useful mass +200kg

Preferred but not a fixed criteria is manual retraction of landing gear like in the Mooney M20.

So I would like to know any suggestions for the above; the only type with plans available and fitting all the criteria is the Asso X Jewel.

OpenEZ has unclear plans documentation;
AcroCruiser is great but is only in kit form, like the FlyingLegend's Tucano;
KR-Super2 has never been completed by anyone;
JeanPierreMarie Avions' Layon does not have the range;
Lucas L6B has great range at 960NM but is not well known, only a few built, and I cannot find any contact from Émile Lucas' relatives for the plans.

and several other options I found miss one or two of the criteria.

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Hello,

I recently joined HBA and for the last few weeks I am in the process of preparing the workshop, gathering some tools, and researching information to decide on a type which has available plans to start the build.

The criteria I have are these:

Low wing monplane
Two seat tandem
Tricycle gear retractable
Range +600 NM
Vs -45KT
Vcruise +130KT
Vno +130KT
Vne +150KT
Loads +5g/-2g
Useful mass +200kg

Preferred but not a fixed criteria is manual retraction of landing gear like in the Mooney M20.

So I would like to know any suggestions for the above; the only type with plans available and fitting all the criteria is the Asso X Jewel.

OpenEZ has unclear plans documentation;
AcroCruiser is great but is only in kit form, like the FlyingLegend's Tucano;
KR-Super2 has never been completed by anyone;
JeanPierreMarie Avions' Layon does not have the range;
Lucas L6B has great range at 960NM but is not well known, only a few built, and I cannot find any contact from Émile Lucas' relatives for the plans.

and several other options I found miss one or two of the criteria.
Edited to add: Oops. I missed the "tandem" requirement. TFF apparently missed it, too. Disregard info below the ***.
You can still find LongEze plans for sale occasionally. It is very well documented and the community of builders/pilots is still active. Are folks having trouble building planes from the existing OpenEZ plans and historical LongEZe documentation? (Note,: While it technnically doesn't stall, I don't think it can remain in level flight at your specified 45 kt Vs)

The Colomban MC-100 Ban-Bi appears to meet all your criteria. Plans built, fast, has a range nearly double your specified requirement. The listed stall speed is 47 knots, but assuming that is at max gross weight, you could probably achieve a 45kt stall speed by flying at slightly reduced weights.
Wikipedia page: Colomban MC-100 Ban-Bi - Wikipedia

Reportedly, 22 have flown. I expect that, like other Colomban designs, they are aerodynamically clean and structurally efficient, but are not quick to build. Still, I don't think it would be more challenging than an AssoX.

Last edited:

Dun

Edited to add: Oops. I missed the "tandem" requirement. TFF apparently missed it, too. Disregard info below the ***.
You can still find LongEze plans for sale occasionally. It is very well documented and the community of builders/pilots is still active.
The Colomban MC-100 Ban-Bi appears to meet all your criteria. Plans built, fast, has a range nearly double your specified requirement. The listed stall speed is 47 knots, but assuming that is at max gross weight, you could probably achieve a 45kt stall speed by flying at slightly reduced weights.
Wikipedia page: Colomban MC-100 Ban-Bi - Wikipedia

Reportedly, 22 have flown. I expect that, like other Colomban designs, they are aerodynamically clean and structurally efficient, but are not quick to build. Still, I don't think it would be more challenging than an AssoX.
Thank you for this example. If side by side is what I would look for then definitely this would go to the top of the list. I saw elsewhere (i think in the previous asso x thread where you also posted, and several Marcos) that it was mentioned.
I am very intrigued by this phenomenal range. With 54 litres capacity that would mean the aircraft cruises at 150kt with an endurance of 8 hours using only 8 liters of fuel or so; does the 80hp rotax912 use only so much?
It is very interesting but my eyebrow is raised because I see the internet specifying that engine using more like 15-20L/h.
With that capacity, it would take a speed of 400 knots for the listed range.

Dun

Perhaps it was an aircraft with an additional fuel tank instead of the second passenger.

Like the longEZ which flew for 4400km

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps it was an aircraft with an additional fuel tank instead of the second passenger.
That seems likely. The kit-built DynAero MCR01, which is a kit version of Ban-Bi, has the same general specs but a listed range of (a more easily understood) 652 statute miles (1050 km). But, it's still not a tandem and the gear isn't retractable (two of your criteria)
More here:
Dyn'Aéro MCR01 - Wikipedia

If I wanted a 150mph+ tandem plans-built plane for economical long distance travelling, didn't need to transport bulky stuff, and if I had a nice paved runway on both ends, I'd probably give strong consideration to an OpenEze build. Or, I'd consider buying a flying LongEze.

Last edited:

Dun

That seems likely. The kit-built DynAero MCR01, which is a kit version of Ban-Bi, has the same general specs but a listed range of (a more easily understood) 652 statute miles (1050 km). But, it's still not a tandem.
More here:
Dyn'Aéro MCR01 - Wikipedia

If I wanted a 150mph+ tandem plans-built plane for economical long distance travelling, and if I had a nice paved runway on both ends, I'd probably give strong consideration to an OpenEze build.
That is just the thing, see-- the OpenEZ is a crowd-sourced "copy" which is partial and requires purchasing a CD from TERF (is that still in business?), and a bunch of material all over the place, which is questionable and certainly not all of it (if any) was confirmed by Rutan. So, this is a bit off-putting.

And then furthermore, it is a composites aircraft, and preferentially I am interested in a wooden structure.

In the end, this is an interesting comparison of the ranges between LongEZ and Asso X:

1750 nm at 52 USgal (33.6 nm per gal)

700 nm at 21 USgal (33.1 nm per gal)

The LongEZ has much larger tanks, though.

Food for further thought. thanks vigilant1