For Sale Two Konig 3-cylinder radial engines for sale! SC-430, one with redrive

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by danmoser, Jan 28, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 28, 2013 #1

danmoser

danmoser

danmoser

I am selling two Konig SC-430 engines. These are 3-cylinder radials, 2-stroke, 430 cc.
    They were acquired as part of a multi-aircraft purchase and were formerly used to power a SWIFT
    motorglider.
    I have no plans to use these engines, so they are for sale.
    Parts and new engines available from Compact Radial Engines in Canada.

I'm new to these engines and have no experience operating or maintaining them.
    They appear to be mostly complete and in good condition with starter motors, plugs, ignition modules & exhaust manifolds... but no carbs or mufflers.
    They may need a few new gaskets, plugs, wires, etc... complete teardown recommended before flight.

One of the engines is set up with a toothed belt speed reduction drive.. very rare, I'm told.
    Typically used in direct drive installations with a max. speed of 4,200 RPM.
    Reportedly, they have better low end torque than most 2-strokes... smooth & strong running.
    BTW, they are also listed on Barnstormers.

The engines are located in the Salt Lake City area.
    They weigh about 30 pounds each, so they would be easy to ship by UPS, FedEx, etc..
    Serious inquiries only please .. PM me for more pictures & information.
    Asking price $700 each or best offer.

Happy Landings,

Dan

2. Jan 29, 2013 #2

1Bad88

1Bad88

1Bad88

PM sent

3. Jan 30, 2013 #3

jerryfouts

jerryfouts

jerryfouts

4. Jan 31, 2013 #4

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

I had one of Compact Radial engines...I had to deal with the owner..Leon.....let me say..I would RUN not walk away from this company....

5. Jan 31, 2013 #5

1Bad88

1Bad88

1Bad88

That is not really helpful to the seller, is it? I think that was quite inconsiderate.

6. Jan 31, 2013 #6

danmoser

danmoser

danmoser

The engine with redrive has been sold... the one without redrive is still available at a reduced price (no carb or ignition modules).

With regards to N8053H's complaints, note that I was not endorsing Compact Radial Engines.. only mentioning them as the current manufacturer and source for parts & technical support for SC-430 engines.
    I've never done business with CRE directly, but they did answer my email questions promptly, and I've heard second hand reports of happy CRE customers, for what it's worth ... so, "your mileage may vary" ;)

7. Jan 31, 2013 #7

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

His comment does not help the seller, but I see it as a fair warning of what someone might expect if they have to deal with CRE. As a potential buyer (if I were one), I would not want someone to remain silent if they had information that they felt is pertinent. Having said that, I don't think one negative comment would kill the deal, but it would allow the potential buyer to be more fully aware of what issues might exist.

Besides, from what Dan said, he and others have had satisfactory dealings with CRE, leading me to believe that N8053H's experience might not be typical.

8. Jan 31, 2013 #8

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

Correct................

I am just trying to warn you, If all you need are some parts you may not have a problem...I had a major problem with one of this mans engine's. He just would not stand behind his product, even though the problem was a design problem. I understand he no longer makes his parts like the one I had, but it was still brand new. My engine came apart, lost reduction unit and prop at 1000'. I had to pay out of my pocket $1000.00 to repair this engine.

He may never act like this again, but who knows..I have never had anyone curse at me when they had a problem with something...This man did. I just servived this forced landing and now I had to listen to this man curse me because this happened, then charged me 1000 bucks to repair it....Just a warning...

9. Feb 1, 2013 #9

1Bad88

1Bad88

1Bad88

Now you just told the whole story and that was helpful. What you said before just came across as a cock block. And BMJC is right, it didn't kill the deal. I will deal with CRE if I have to but the Yahoo group for this motor seems to have some alternative ideas for parts.

10. Feb 1, 2013 #10

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

I had the MZ201. I must say I did like that engine. The reduction unit I had was only held on by three bolts, Leon found that every one of these 3 bolt design reduction units failed. He redesigned that reduction unit so now it has 5 bolts.

The MZ201 and MZ202 are the same engine the 201 is detuned. Leon said he has never had a 201 sieze.. These are slow turning engines for a two stroke. I was even impressed with his other lines of engines.

But after that event I purchased a New Rotax. It was at the 25 hr mark the stator on my new rotax went bad. Rotax took care of me 100%. That stator would have cost me another 700 bucks. But rotax would not hear of charging me for this part that went bad in my new engine.

I no longer fly behind two strokes......

11. Feb 6, 2013 #11

danmoser

danmoser

danmoser

Price reduced on the SC-430 engine without redrive.. $500 obo.
    More pictures & info. available by email.

PS- the SC-430 engine with redrive has already been sold. Thanks!

12. Feb 12, 2013 #12

danmoser

danmoser

danmoser

Both Konig SC-430s are now sold..

13. Feb 12, 2013 #13

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Sold but I will add FYI that CRE can supply parts for this engine but does not like to as they are low volume and expensive with no profit. Good engine though. I would have bid for both had I seen this in time.

14. Jul 19, 2013 #14

Chris Clearihan

Chris Clearihan

Chris Clearihan

Dear Dan,

Ï'm interested in these engines if they are still available.

Can you tell me more about the condition / history of these engines and the price for both?

Best Regards, Chris

15. Jul 19, 2013 #15

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Didn't you see two posts up that they are SOLD?

16. Jul 26, 2013 #16

reservepilot

reservepilot

reservepilot

I would be interested to know what each sold for or sell for?

17. Jul 27, 2013 #17

Vipor_GG

Vipor_GG

Vipor_GG

CompactRadialEngines handles them, but doesn't list a price, special order only.

18. Jul 27, 2013 #18

danmoser

danmoser

danmoser

These engines had unknown history and were not quite complete.. one sold for $700, the other for $500. I did get a price quote for new ones from Leon at Compact Radial Engines.. just under $4,000 for the 3 cylinder SC-430 if I remember correctly, but I could be mistaken. Get a quote from them directly to be sure. There is no mention of a re-drive, as these are designed to be direct-drive. 4,200 RPM max. is slow revving for a 2-stroke, and as a result, not a very impressive power-to-weight ratio, but they are supposedly smooth-running & reasonably reliable engines. BTW, I'm NOT speaking from experience.. I've never even seen one running.