• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Airplane For Sale Two CGS Hawks for sale....Bypass Sale!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

Well, in recovery at present....5 bypass surgery survived. But, even with insurance, a huge bill to pay. So, both of my Hawks are up for sale. One is a project bird, needs recover. The second is an N-numbered flying bird. The project bird is powered by a Rotax 467, is complete and is stored in my warehouse. It will fit a Penske or a Uhaul truck for transport. Bring your own trailer tag and you can have the boat trailer it was on originally. New tires on it, I never received the title.

The flying bird is powered by a 503 Rotax. Runs/flies great. Based at a private strip south of Greensboro, NC. Have one guy looking at present, offered the pair at $10,000, which would make a dent in what I owe the hospital. Hate to have to make such a decision, but not much choice. Not old enough for SS yet, and me not being able to work will probably kill my company.
Life can be the pits on occasion, but it beats pushing up daisies!!

Derswede (PM me with any questions, need of photos, etc.)

[email protected]

Well, in recovery at present....5 bypass surgery survived. But, even with insurance, a huge bill to pay. So, both of my Hawks are up for sale. One is a project bird, needs recover. The second is an N-numbered flying bird. The project bird is powered by a Rotax 467, is complete and is stored in my warehouse. It will fit a Penske or a Uhaul truck for transport. Bring your own trailer tag and you can have the boat trailer it was on originally. New tires on it, I never received the title.

The flying bird is powered by a 503 Rotax. Runs/flies great. Based at a private strip south of Greensboro, NC. Have one guy looking at present, offered the pair at $10,000, which would make a dent in what I owe the hospital. Hate to have to make such a decision, but not much choice. Not old enough for SS yet, and me not being able to work will probably kill my company.
Life can be the pits on occasion, but it beats pushing up daisies!!

Derswede (PM me with any questions, need of photos, etc.)
Apply for disability from SS. A neighbor had bypass at age 59 and found out at 66 his disability would have been much more than waiting 7 years for full SS. Interested in the Hawks. Have they sold yet?

Derswede

I am still here, am feeling less pain every day, though to be honest, that is more pain than I would wish on anyone! Breathing is a chore! Birds are still available, at least would like to sell the project bird, doc said “ no flying”, but what does he know? 😜
Am trying for disability, will see what the lawyers say. Fortunately I do have decent insurance, would have to hand over the keys to the house if not. It just does not cover everything. Long slow path to recovery…..I tell people that I do NOT recommend the “bypass diet!” Bit tough on the system. Will most likely be forced to retire, can’t lug around thousand pound machines feeling like this. Will close the warehouse, so one reason the project bird is for sale.
Thanks for all the good thoughts and wishes. Guys on heart pills, take them pills, you don’t want this!!

Derswede

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
I hope you have a lawyer that specializes in SS disability. My wife went through the disability process years ago, and it would have been a nightmare without a decent lawyer. I don't recall being out much if any money to pay the lawyer, once she was approved.

galapoola

Glad to hear you are recovering. Pick a dollar amount you can afford and send it on time each month. Generally speaking, as long as they see you are paying every month, you should be left alone.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Glad to hear you are getting back on your feet and hope everything works out. Do investigate options with the hospital as was suggested. We are all too proud sometimes to ask for help, but you'd be surprised how often help is available if you do ask.

reo12

Supporting Member
Gosh, bummer. I was electrically burned in 1982 at age 20 - 4800v. Spent 2 1/2 months in a hospital. Now such a stay would be over $1.4M. My Dr lied to me about heart damage and arterial damage as a result of how hot my blood became. He hoped I would defeat it - mind over matter..... Then 4 years later realized I really was struggling. He flat out stated that he believed I would be on disability some day.....at a Christmas dinner - after watching me try to dance with my wife. When I asked him of this 3 months later - he stated my blood got so hot that it damaged my arteries - and your heart pumped that blood. Though he never came out and said my heart was damaged. When the ambulance arrived 20 minutes after I was burned - my body temperature had cooled to 108.6 degF.
I struggled to work at my business - always feeling poorly. I finally started asking my family Dr for help 14 years ago with the debilitating pain and other issues started popping up. I became tired so easily. Not getting anywhere I went to other Dr's.
Just 11 months ago I finally found out for certain that my heart doesn't function properly. The 12 lead EKG to prove this had been performed while I was in the burn unit - 40 years ago. Unfortunately - by that time it was just a few years too late to still get my medical records. My Dr was deceased by then also. One of my nurses - one of the most senior there - told me that they were told by my Dr. to lie to me about my prognosis.
I applied for disability using an attorney in March last year. The attorney's get $6K for their work. SS has a set this as the standard payment amount. It is taken from your first payment check. I was sent my first check and approval letter last month. SS set a date in the fall of 2020 as when they feel I became disabled. I was criticized by the folks at SS for waiting so long to apply.
So - I'm vindicated as to having proof that I am not who I want to be physically. I am disabled. Not happy about being on SS - I'd rather be able to work. But - having been an employer - I know that I am not able to provide the physical ability's that would be reasonable to expect of an employee.
I suggest you take care of yourself. Apply for SS. You may qualify. The process takes about a year but payment is back dated to about the time you applied. Even if you have to apply more than once - my understanding is that the initial application date is used for the settlement.

Doran Jaffas

Supporting Member
Many hospitals will work with people who don't have the ability to repay the total amount. Ours even quit sending people to collections for unpaid bills. Usually a line item bill question will get some changes.

He is correct. Hospitals also do very affordable payment plans. A thing called the Hilburtin/Act is also a possibility. No need to sell your birds.

Derswede

The selling of the Hawks is more related to the amount of work I will not be able to do, esp on the project bird. As I will not be able to keep my company going, I will lose the warehouse where it is stored. Been looking at building a storage building to put it in, but same problem as rebuilding that bird, can lift only 5 lbs per arm at the moment. As I am trying to shrink my company to keep going somewhat, I will be getting a shed to use as an outside office, but cannot afford one large enough to act as a rebuild building. Will try to keep the flying Hawk. Had some good friends who gave me excellent advice many years ago, to put $ into a retirement account and pay cash for everything....."If you can't afford to pay cash for it, you don't need it!!!" So, not in debt. First priority was to get out of debt, which I managed to do before this whole debacle. So, if I can figure out a way to downsize things, may be able to keep a few dreams alive. Great advice on the hospital payment plan, have one in place now. At least I had insurance which covered the majority of the bill!

Right now, I am wanting to simplify things. Don't need much materially, food, clothing and shelter, so will eliminate some of the not necessary things and readjust priorities. As the old saying goes, "a man has to recognize his limitations!"

Derswede

(and a thousand thanks to all you guys!!)