TWIN HERO ULTRALIGHT

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

philr

Here is an idea for a twin ultralight using two 460 cc from Vegas Carts or other performance Kart places. Engines stripped down direct drive 4000 rpm with a 41" prop and should put out 20 hp each.
1664982972945.png

REVAN

If memory serves, those engines are about 75 pounds each. Can this plane meet part 103 requirements with two of those engines as shown?

Last edited:

philr

If memory serves, those engines are about 75 pounds each. Can this plane meet part 103 requirements with two of those engines as shown?
They are heavy in stock configuration. I think 45 lbs each is possible remove flywheel, all shrouds, fuel tank and starter. Prop hub on the flywheel end will have a motorcycle alternator behind it and the ignition on the pto end will have electronic timing retard for slow idle and hand prop to start. So it should meet part 103.

philr

This design is sheet aluminum built a bit like the zenith birds so the cockpit "enclosure" is actually structure.

philr

These are weights I have researched online and I don't have an actual motor to strip down and check. Flywheel 13 lbs, tank 5 lbs, starter 5 lbs fan 11 oz. Recoil 1lb, these items get us down to about 50lbs. Maybe can save another lb or 2 with exhaust and going to a mikuni carb with light air filter. The pto end of the crank can be cut off at .55 lbs savings. The only parts I cant find weight for is the engine shroud, governor and how much difference a straight pipe versus muffler would make. Also the planned ignition is lighter but not sure the weight of the stock one.